Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 14:00

cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate does not work on any of my models

I have updated the BIOSs to the current release on a E6400, 960, 755, and D830 and I was able to turn on the TPM using the --tpm=on option then rebooted and tried to activate the TPM using the --tpmactivation=activate option however that command seems to fail. After a reboot they all return tpm=on and tpmactivation=deactivated when I run "cctk --tpm --tpmactivation".

The commands I have had work fine are (In WinPE) --tpm=on --embnic1=on --passwordbypass=rebootbypass then after a reboot I run (In Windows XP SP3) bootorder --sequence=bev,embnic --enabledevice=bev,embnic which also works. This is were I was trying to activate the TPM but it is failing.

10 Posts

October 19th, 2010 14:00

"Make sure you update the BIOS to the latest version."
Updated to the latest BIOS version for the Optiplex 755 (A17) and using the latest version of the CCTK (Version 1.1.0
Release Date: April 2010). Every command works except for cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=

20 Posts

October 19th, 2010 15:00

I've tried submitting a ticket to have this resolved, but the ticket has gotten bounced around and nothing has came about it. I guess this is now affecting more than just me.

If your company has premier support with Dell, your able to push to get this fixed faster than the support level I'm going through.

18 Posts

October 19th, 2010 15:00

"Updated to the latest BIOS version for the Optiplex 755 (A17) and using the latest version of the CCTK (Version 1.1.0
Release Date: April 2010). Every command works except for cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=
"
I just cleared my TPM on a 755 with A17 BIOS which deactivates it and I turned the TPM off then rebuilt the machine and it was on and active.
I enable the TPM in the WinPE phase of my build so there is a reboot between that and the following commands
Since we don't set a BIOS password I had to set one temporarily, set the TPM, then disable it
Also I am on x64 windows 7 so if you were on 32bit you'd use the x86 folder instead of the x86_64 folder):
Here are the commands I use in case they help, however it looks like you probably have them correct already.
CCTK\X86_64\cctk.exe --setuppwd=Password
CCTK\X86_64\cctk.exe --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=Password
CCTK\X86_64\cctk.exe --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=Password
CCTK\X86_64\cctk.exe --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=Password
Again, this works for me on a 755 with the A17 BIOS and my CCTK.MSI file has a Digital Signature TimeStamp of Friday, April 16, 2010 6:38:55 AM

20 Posts

October 19th, 2010 16:00

Can you activate it from a cmd line and not WinPE?

I'm having to deploy Bitlocker after the systems have already been deployed.
Oh my systems are 980, e6410 and e4310

18 Posts

October 20th, 2010 08:00

"Can you activate it from a cmd line and not WinPE?

Oh my systems are 980, e6410 and e4310"
I did this on a 755 with BIOS A17 running Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Here are the contents of the Bat file I used, which worked from a command line (To prepare, I entered the BIOS again and cleared the TPM then turned it off and booted into Windows 7 where I logged onto the system with admin rights):

cd /d %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Dell\CCTK\X86_64
cctk --setuppwd=Password
cctk --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=Password

We do not have the 980 or E4310 so I can't test on those.

20 Posts

October 20th, 2010 09:00

Has anyone tested the CCTK activate on 980, e6410 and e4310 systems?

10 Posts

Thanks Therkilt for your help so far and let's keep narrowing this down until both james and I figure out where the problem is. Like jamesavery said, "Can you activate the TPM by running those commands from a cmd within the native OS (Windows 7 x86) or manually from a WinPE cmd ?" I am running the exact same commands your are in the exact same sequence from both a Windows 7 cmd and a WinPE 3.0 cmd and still can't get activate the TPM. I don't get any errors but after running the commands, I restart the computer and immediately go into the BIOS and the TPM Activation remains in the "Deactivate" state.

18 Posts

Sorry for the duplicate entries. Something was wrong with the site so I didn't think it was getting the updates.

18 Posts

Sorry for the duplicate entries. Something was wrong with the site so I didn't think it was getting the updates.

18 Posts

Sorry for the duplicate entries.

18 Posts

10 Posts

Thank you so far for helping us narrow down the problem. Like james avery asked, “Can you try running these commands manually from a cmd prompt either from the native OS Windows 7 or a WinPE 3.0 cmd?” I am running the exact same commands in the exact same sequence from a cmd from within a Windows 7 or a WinPE 3.0 environment and no luck!! After running the commands, they all appear to run fine (no errors) but after I reboot and immediately look at the BIOS settings, the TPM Activation remains in the “Deactivate” state. Curious, are you running the cctk commands via an SCCM OSD Task Sequence and then using the “Enable BitLocker” step to initialize BitLocker? I am trying to get this to work via MDT 2010…in case anyone was wondering.

10 Posts

Thank you so far for helping us narrow down the problem. Like james avery asked, “Can you try running these commands manually from a cmd prompt either from the native OS Windows 7 or a WinPE 3.0 cmd?” I am running the exact same commands in the exact same sequence from a cmd from within a Windows 7 or a WinPE 3.0 environment and no luck!! After running the commands, they all appear to run fine (no errors) but after I reboot and immediately look at the BIOS settings, the TPM Activation remains in the “Deactivate” state. Curious, are you running the cctk commands via an SCCM OSD Task Sequence and then using the “Enable BitLocker” step to initialize BitLocker? I am trying to get this to work via MDT 2010…in case anyone was wondering.

18 Posts

October 20th, 2010 10:00

Sorry for the duplicate entries.

18 Posts

October 21st, 2010 09:00

I thought it was working on a 960 but it isn't now A08 BIOS. Works fine on on the 755 as stated above though.

I modified my test .bat file so it will work on either a 32bit or x64 OS:
if exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Dell\CCTK\X86_64\cctk.exe" (
cd /d "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Dell\CCTK\X86_64"
) else (
cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Dell\CCTK\X86"
)
cctk --setuppwd=Password
cctk --tpm=on --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --tpmactivation=activate --valsetuppwd=Password
cctk --setuppwd= --valsetuppwd=Password

I will have to retest all my machines so I can verify the list of working devices.
No Events found!