Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2012 08:00

Ask the Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX

Performance calculations on the CLARiiON/VNX  with RRR & Jon Klaus

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Performance calculations on the Clariion /VNX systems and the various considerations that must be taken into account

This discussion begins on Monday, August  13th. Get ready by bookmarking this page or signing up for email notifications.

Your hosts:

https://community.emc.com/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=4416&size=350

Rob Koper is working in the IT industry since 1994 and since 2004 working for Open Line Consultancy. He started with Clariion CX300 and DMX-2 and worked with all newer arrays ever since, up to current technologies like VNX 5700 and the larger DMX-4 and VMAX 20k systems. He's mainly involved in managing and migrating data to storage arrays over large Cisco and Brocade SANs that span multiple sites widely spread through the Netherlands. Since 2007 he's an active member on ECN and the Support Forums and he currently holds Proven Professional certifications like Implementation Engineer for VNX, Clariion (expert) and Symmetrix as well as Technology Architect for Clariion and Symmetrix.

https://community.emc.com/profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=6000&size=350

Jon Klaus has been working at Open Line since 2008 as a project consultant on various storage and server virtualization projects. To prepare for these projects, an intensive one year barrage of courses on CLARiiON and Celerra has yielded him the EMCTAe and EMCIEe certifications on CLARiiON and EMCIE + EMCTA status on Celerra.

Currently Jon is contracted by a large multinational and part of a team that is responsible for running and maintaining several (EMC) storage and backup systems throughout Europe. Amongst his day-to-day activities are: performance troubleshooting, storage migrations and designing a new architecture for the Europe storage and backup environment.

This event ran from the 13th until the 31st of August .

Here is a summary document og the higlights of that discussion as set out by the experts. Ask The Expert: Performance Calculations on Clariion/VNX wrap up

The discussion itself follows below.

January 15th, 2013 05:00

Where is it? I do not see the non stop option it just have 1 to 30 Days in VNX

247 Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

Just unselect the "Stop Automatically After" checkbox, like this:

analyzer.jpg

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 15th, 2013 06:00

I currently don't have access to Unisphere, but as soon as I do, I'll make a screenshot for you.

January 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi Jon. The answer to your question of why R1/0 for logs and not R 5 is. For the server to write a full stripe write on the raid group disks the write size from os/host should match the block size (or i do not know what exactly we say) at storage (might be disk allingment) so each write actually uses the exact stipe size, or else it will create 4 write for 1 write (you know write penality) as it need to sperately update the parity.... So it will again put more IOPS and performace will have a hit... Not sure i am clear with the explanation, but i did found something understandable in an ISM book i had....

Thanks for this... It is simple... But not till you told me :-)

Hi Dynamox... We have recently upgraded to INYO 5.32. Does this feature really exists on this code... The cache intelligence for understanding the log (sequential pattern) and database and other Random pattern and allocating cache based on that?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2013 09:00

swadeey123 wrote:

Hi Jon. The answer to your question of why R1/0 for logs and not R 5 is. For the server to write a full stripe write on the raid group disks the write size from os/host should match the block size (or i do not know what exactly we say) at storage (might be disk allingment) so each write actually uses the exact stipe size, or else it will create 4 write for 1 write (you know write penality) as it need to sperately update the parity.... So it will again put more IOPS and performace will have a hit... Not sure i am clear with the explanation, but i did found something understandable in an ISM book i had....

not exactly, in RAID-5 unless it's a full stripe write there will be 4 I/O operations (not all 4 are write).  Considering there is only 2 I/O penalty in R1/0 it's probably a good choice for redo logs.  Data files could be serviced by RAID-5 pool if you have enough spindles so your strategy could be to place database data files in a pool and have your redo logs in traditional R1/0 raid groups.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

January 15th, 2013 09:00

swadeey123 wrote:

Hi Dynamox... We have recently upgraded to INYO 5.32. Does this feature really exists on this code... The cache intelligence for understanding the log (sequential pattern) and database and other Random pattern and allocating cache based on that?

unfortunately i do not know the specifics but was told there were improvements. (not sure how one would quantify them in terms of iops)

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Ok no problems, as we were in some trouble and this could have helped us, so wanted to check.

Guys can anyone of you help me with my current performance problem, maybe guide me in troubleshooting it. I will tell this setup is long back implemented and been played around a several time before i joined, here is how it is.

1. 3 storage boxes alocatting space to a SQL 2000 servers (to start the mess with all of different genes to add up this have got a long story associated with it)

2. OS is Windows 2003 virtual machine running on ESX Vcenter 4.1 having datastores from DMX, Clarrion, and VNX. 3. We are having performance issue and some time we do see huge read write latency with almost from all the three boxes Clariion showing the highest latency.

4. Another mess we have around 3 to 4 drives which have both "Database" and "Logs" going to them.
5. DMX lun (datastore for ESX) are R 5 (15 K drives), Clariion Lun is a datastore (only this server is running on this) of Radi 1/0 with 8 drives, VNX LUN is coming from a storage pool Raid 5 (mixed pool) with (Auot tiering and FAST Cache enabled)

6. What issue we have is one of our process which runs everyday have been taking considerably high time, which access this database (both read and write) IO types. We checked all the things at the ESX level and do not find any issues, we are in process of collection of "perfmon" for the server. We suspect the LUN coming from Clariion to be problematic (as that is the only lun that is not common without anything else hosting this host), For sure it will be difficult for any of you to suggest without having clear pricture but can some one guide if they have faced this similar issue. We are actually looking for immediate and maybe short term fix (as we might decommison this system soon but not very soon (2 to 6 months) Can someone guide... Please do not tell me how messy it is as i know :-)

January 17th, 2013 02:00

Yeap Not all 4 will be writes two reads (one data and one parity) and two writes one data and one parity so total comes out to be four. Thanks for your help in getting this clarified, as i really meant the same thing. So again you came to the rescue.... :-)

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 17th, 2013 03:00

hmmm, you beat me since I wasn't in the office yesterday.

But I looked at my own VNX and I can't even click on the check box saying "stop after". It simply keeps on running.

January 17th, 2013 03:00

Maybe you need to stop it before changing any option....

247 Posts

January 17th, 2013 04:00

swadeey123 wrote:

Maybe you need to stop it before changing any option....

+10 points for you!

Unfortunately I'm currently a bit swamped at work... I'll come back on your performance question!

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 02:00

I'd suggest you try it. You can stop it for a minute or so, no real harm there . Plus the CLI options often reveal their meaning a whole better than the GUI

247 Posts

June 3rd, 2013 07:00

Being back from EMC World 2013, I've added three blogposts concerning VNX performance, skew ratio's, data placement, sizing of pools etc.

Post 1: EMC World - Day 4 - VNX: Skew & Data Placement | FastStorage

Post 2: EMC World – Day 4 – VNX: FAST Cache improvements in R32 | FastStorage

Post 3: EMC World – Day 4 – VNX: Leverage SSD in a VNX | FastStorage

If you have any questions or comments regarding these bits of information, leave a comment here or on the blog and we'll try to answer it!

No Events found!