Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2015 09:00

Using Open Migrator to go from 4KB to 64KB

Does open Migrator support moving from a 4KB block size to a 64KB block size?  I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere but I did a migration this weekend and noticed that after formatting the destination disk as 64k, after the migration completed it is now showing the original 4k block size.  Anyone know for sure?

Thanks for the help in advance.

1 Message

November 9th, 2015 06:00

I found this on another post.  I am assuming this is accurate as it seems to be the exact thing I am seeing when attempting to migrate from 4k to 64k block size.

Thanks to Christopher Imes

"It is worth noting based on how Open Migrator performs the data mobility (moving NTFS clusters), you can not use Open Migrator to redo the NTFS (file system) Allocation unit size.  Even if you formatted the target volume with a 64KB cluster size but the original was the default 4KB, you would have the same 4KB cluster size on the target after the copy.  For this, you would have to use a host based copy tool to accomplish this.  Just an FYI while on the topic, and you may have very well already concluded that."

No Events found!