Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2009 12:00

What do you think?

Now that we've moved over to ECN, let us know what you think, what you like and what we could do to better.

30 Posts

November 16th, 2009 12:00

Hi Erich,

The users will definitely need some time to settle for the new UI. but I assume the migration went successfully! Congratulations

Though i am still exploring the Best features about the changed UI the first few things really liked:

1) the spell checker

2) the feature to post replies via e-mail (which i am yet to use ).

Stuff that can be improved (these were few things that I had noticed on the communities site some time back):

1) The EMC2 logo in top left points to the emc website. if you click on the "support forum" text mentioned just next to the logo it does take the user to the communities home page. but intuitively one would expect the navigation to go to ECN home page if the top left url is clicked and not the emc home.

2) Too many extra feature buttons & links tends to take the user focus away from the core page content/ information and makes site navigation a bit slow.

Over i feel the UI is secondary, I would be happy if I am able to find all the helpful posts and replies made by forum experts like Johnny, Jorg, Fabian, Cristian and others in an easier and efficient way!!

Cheers

Deepak Apte

8.6K Posts

I should have guessed from the funny "o" - I just thought it was the new forum acting up :-)

it also looks strange in the From of the EMail watches (at least in OWA)

30 Posts

At first I was unable to reply to anything, but that seems to be resolved now.  Assuming issues like that are ironed out over time, I think my main concern is how the forums are not broken out in a hierarchical nature as before, and as with most forums I have used.

I'm just trying to imagine a brand new user trying to get help with say a zoning problem with their SAN.  Before I could subscribe to a specific forum that was clearly the place for such a question.

Obviously there are some benefits like the document interface and the editors for posts.  But so far, I'm not sold on this new format...

8.6K Posts

Personally I also like hierarchical forums with lots of sub-categories

But to make them work you need users that know where to post something and moderators that delete or move posts that arent in the right category.

the downside typically is that casual users dont want to click through lots of categories and you tend to get less replies this way

of course it also depends on the volume of posts per category

In the end forum posts arent really permanent storage thats easy to search - for that a couple of FAQs and maybe a Wiki usually work better

212 Posts

FYI -

The Reply-by-Email functionality seems to be broken post migration. We are working on restoring this functionality.

The Email notifications functionality was initially broken and has since been restored.

Thanks,

Aashish

EMC Community Network

30 Posts

November 16th, 2009 13:00

I guess this is evolving as we speak.  I'm seeing more categories on the left side under Support Forums, ones that are familar from Powerlink.  That was my primary concern.  The site appears to be a bit under contruction, and I'm sure in the end it's going to be the best of both worlds...

447 Posts

I wanted to point out that I've added /; to help users more easily identify unread items.

212 Posts

Hi Deepak,

>>I would be happy if I am able to find all the helpful posts and replies made by forum experts like Johnny, Jorg, Fabian, Cristian and others in an easier and efficient way!!

You should be able to follow the activity of users - visit a users profile by clicking on their name and then see the 'Actions' section in the right hand side.

Also, you should be able to see a users activity and content from the tabs on the profile.

Thanks,

Aashish

user_profile_picture.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 16th, 2009 14:00

And another thing I'm missing a bit is the top ten list including the actual number of points for each user, not just their status , so you can easily see if anyone is about to overtake you

48 Posts

November 16th, 2009 16:00

Well, I think there a few nice changes like email replys, but overall the site is too cluttered with bells and whistles that are not needed. Not trying to undermine the asthetic effort, but honstly it feels more like a Documentum enthusiasts FaceBook site.

It would be nice to see 2 enhancement

- The correct/helpful answers more visible rather than barely visible small tick/bang.

- The Recent Content page shows "Subject" in the first column and "Author" in the 2nd column, it would be better to be consistent with that approach and have the same layout for the sub-catagories rather than having "Author" first and than "Subject".

It would be interesting to see a poll for how many users would like a rollback.

Cheers!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 16th, 2009 17:00

If i login to the forums, on the left hand side i see all the different categories (Clarrion, Documentum, ..and so on). How do i know which categories have new content ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

why is my time zone keep resetting to Mountain ? I keep setting it to Eastern and a few hours later it is back to Mountain.

30 Posts

Mine was initially set to Mountain time, I reset it to Pacific and it's been fine ever since.

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

November 17th, 2009 00:00

Lovely avatar you have there, Dynamox

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

November 17th, 2009 05:00

i thought you might like it
No Events found!