Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 19th, 2017 08:00

2012R2 iscsi targets question

We have two clustered sql 2012 WIn server 2012 R2 boxes that use a single Equallogic 6100 for their database storage.  We are trying to trouble shoot some performance problems with it right now and I noticed that "Enable multi-path" isn't checked on any of the connections.  If I check this box after hours do I need to worry about the disks loosing connection to the SAN for any period of time?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 19th, 2017 09:00

Hello, 

First this to verify is are you in fact getting multiple connections to each volume.  If you go to the EQL GUI and select one your volumes, then click on "Connections" tab, you should see multiple IP addresses from each server connecting to that volume.  

Especially since you are running MS SQL you should have installed the HIT/ME software.  This configures MPIO for you and has integrated support for MSSQL, Exchange and SharePoint. 

What version of fimrware is the EQL array running?  

Do you still have support for it?   If so, best option is open a support case.  They will review the array diags, and switch logs for any signs of trouble. 

Performance problems are rarely quick fixes, in fact they often result from multiple issues. 

Regards, 

Don 

1 Rookie

• 

57 Posts

October 19th, 2017 10:00

Thank Don,

Looks like I have one connection each from each of our sql servers.  I have two ISCI nics in each server, so 4 total, which is what I see in the connections tab for all the volumes.  Both the servers have the Integration tools installed, looks like version 5.0 according to the programs and features listing.  We are currently on 9.1.2 and the newest for the disks as well.  We upgraded a few weeks ago hopping to solve this issue. 

And yes it's still under support.

Does the snap shot manager need to be configured at all if we aren't doing equallogic snaps but are using a third party tool?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 19th, 2017 10:00

Hello, 

I have seen cases where the MPIO subsystem didn't get installed automatically when HIT/ME is installed. Check under Roles and features to make sure that it is installed.  If not, move anything on that server to the alternate node, since you usually need to reboot.  You'll probably want to tear down the targets shown in the iSCSI utlity and redo each volume login.  That way you can make sure enable MPIO is set.  HIT/ME MPIO should only be doing MPIO for volumes that are active on that node I believe. So you might have to wait a couple mins after moving an SQL resource back to that node for MPIO to show configured. 

See if that resolves it. 

Don 

No Events found!