Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2015 12:00

Add host to vmware cluster and equilogic SAN

Hi...

I am going to add 2 new vsphere host to our vmware cluster....I havent done this before but think I got the hang of it..

But one thing I am uncertain about is the connectivity to the SAN ,  is it just to create the iscsi software adapter on the vsphere host and then add the adapters iqn to the access page of the volumes in the SAN and do rescan to get the volumes accesible in the vmware host?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 17th, 2015 14:00

That is pretty much it.   There are Tech Reports on how to do it specifically.

en.community.dell.com/.../TR1075-Configure-iSCSI-Connectivity-with-VMware-vSphere-5.pdf

TR1091 shows how to configure VMware ESXi for best practices with EQL storage.

en.community.dell.com/.../download

In my environments I use CHAP credentials for the ESXi clusters.  This way a specific set of ESXi nodes use the same CHAP username/password to access EQL volumes.  Benefit is when adding a new node, you only need supply the CHAP username/password.  You won't have to modify anything on the EQL side to add/remove a node.

Regards,

10 Posts

March 19th, 2015 04:00

Hi Don..

And thank you for your answers...

This with mem is confusing for me we have VMware vSphere 5 Standard Licensed for 2 physical CPUs on all hosts  but we have the mem package installed on the hosts what I can see they have Dell_PSP_EQL_Routed in path selection, and if I understand it correctly this means that the mem package is installed...?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 19th, 2015 08:00

If you don't have the license for MEM, then while it's installed you're not getting the benefit of it.  

You should remove MEM and configure Round Robin and change the IOs per path from 1000 to 3.

This is covered in the TR1091 Best practices tech report.    You'll need access to the CLI of each ESXi node to run a command and reboot each node afterwards.

10 Posts

March 19th, 2015 08:00

OK Thank You

10 Posts

March 18th, 2015 04:00

Ok...thank you for your answer and the links, will study them before I proceed to implement the new hosts in to the vmware cluster and the equilogic SAN

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 18th, 2015 11:00

You are very welcome.

You can also use the setup.pl script that comes with the MPIO software, called MEM,  for EQL storage with VMware ESXi to do the iSCSI configuration for you.   Instructions are in the MEM installation guide.

en.community.dell.com/.../download

In order to use MEM, you need either an Enterprise or Enterprise+  VMware license.  However, to use the setup script you don't need a special license.

Regards,

No Events found!