Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 20th, 2018 02:00

After vCenter reinstall VSM can't register

I posted this question yesterday but someone removed it :)

After I reinstalled vCenter Server (on Win), VSM cant register VSM as a storage provider. I've tried to remove it and reregister from VSM, but it says: Unable to remove existing VASA provider, try removing it at VMware vCenter (Administration/Storage Providers) and re-execute this command
VMware vCenter registration with VASA Provider failed

If I try to remove it from vCenter I get this: The "Unregister storage provider" operation failed for the entity with the following error message. -but no error message

I guess it has something to do with the certificate, but how do I change/renew the certificate on VSM or force vCenter to trust the VSM certificate?

Since it's a new name on the vCenter server, do I have to change something in VSM?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2018 04:00

Hello,

You can either open a support case and they can review the logs, or you can try deploying a new VSM appliance which might be the easier option.  Make sure you have set the Management IP address in vCenter.

Regards,

Don

15 Posts

February 21st, 2018 04:00

I had to contact the support to get this resolved. The solution was like this.

1. Remove the old VSM-server and reboot all ESXi-hosts

2. Go to https://vcenterserver/mob click on content/ExtensionManager/UnregisterExtension type in com.equallogic.vsm and click Invoke method.

3. Reboot vCenter and remove Storage Provider from vCenter

4. Install the new VSM-server on a different IP than the old VSM and register the new Storage Provider

5. Reboot ESXi-host and rescan storage

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 21st, 2018 04:00

Hello,

Thanks for the update.  That process or small variations of that process usually resolve it.  However, it's difficult to explain in a forum post.  You really need get in there and see it.

Glad they were able to resolve it for you.

Regards.

Don

No Events found!