Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2016 09:00

Cabling an array - why connect each CM to multiple switches?

On arrays which support vertical port failover, I understand that it's important to connect the active and passive CMs to different switches, so that a switch failure will trigger a vertical failover event. 

However, all the documentation I have read (including, for example, this one: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-solutions/w/oracle_solutions/1244.how-to-cable-an-equallogic-array

Why is this?  The only justification I could find was from the document entitled "BP1031-Blade-Switch-Integration-final.pdf" which includes: "Each array member controller connects to both PC7048 switches for SAN fabric redundancy."  That's a little vague.  

With vertical port failover, why not connect all the NICs on one CM to one switch, and all the NICs on the other CM to the other switch?  The only conceivable scenario where this would be a problem is if you lost one switch AND one CM.  

Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 9th, 2016 09:00

Hello, 

For best results, both CMs need to be fully wired to both switches.  Even with Vertical failover if you had to replace a CM you'd have to move a cable to the other CM.   

Also, not all CMs have vertical failover capability.   

I believe the HW install guide for models supporting vertical failover shows a minimum configuration.  You can download that from the eqlsupport.dell.com site.   It's with the firmware downloads.  Select your version and you'll see links for the Hardware manuals. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!