Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 2nd, 2014 15:00

Dedicated management network configuration

Hi,

I have a PS6500E, firmware v. 7.0.5. I cannot configure the dedicated management network. Right now I connect to GUI by going to the group IP address. When I go to Configure Dedicated management network dialog and click on "Configure for Management-only access" link another window appears where I can enter IP address and subnet mask. I cannot, however, modify the gateway entry It is listed as 192.168.1.1 and won't let me change that.

Any idea how can I change the default gateway listed in the GUI? Can is modify that if I connect through a serial or ssh connection? What are the command to configure this from command line?

Thank you, Alex.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

August 2nd, 2014 15:00

Within the windows you have to click on eth3 and enter the IP,Mask,GW for that mgmt interface. After that you can enable the WKA MGMT IP of the Group.

Regards,

Joerg

25 Posts

August 2nd, 2014 16:00

Hi Joerg,

The problem is that I cannot change the GW value. The value of 192.168.1.1 is already entered there and the text box is grayed out. I need to somehow change this value and I cannot do it through the EqualLogic Group Manager GUI.

Thanks, Alex.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2014 20:00

Did you set ETH3 to the new subnet?   You have to do that first.

Solution Title How to configure dedicated Management Network

Solution Details Management Networks exist to allow customers to sacrifice one port on each array to permit management separately from iSCSI traffic. Each array must contribute a port, and these ports must be on the same subnet as each other, and a different subnet from the iSCSI traffic. A properly configured dedicated management network will also require an additional, virtual IP address for group management (similar to how the Group IP Address works for iSCSI discovery and login). The management subnet will also have its own default gateway for routing, to allow management sessions to be routed independently of data sessions.

Management networks are configured in two pieces. First you assign one port on each array (the highest numbered port, specifically) to have the "Management Only" status. This blocks the port from servicing iSCSI data at all. Setting "Mgmt Only" on a port or set of ports does not complete the process, though, and does not block management on iSCSI data ports. The second piece is to provide a Management Group IP Address to the array, and enable dedicated management ports. That will block management from data ports, and will only allow management through the dedicated management address and subnet.

Be very certain you have your management network properly accessible before enabling the dedicated management network. Once you turn it on, if you do not actually have access, you will need to go to the serial port to reconfigure the system.

The specific process for enabling dedicated management networks is documented in the Group Administration guide as well as in the CLI guide. In rough outline:

1. Assign the highest numbered interface of each array into a separate subnet, and mark it for Management Only. Verify network connectivity to those ports from a node already on the management subnet.

2. Allocate an additional IP address on the management subnet. Identify the default gateway for the management subnet.

3. In the GUI, go to Group Configuration, Advanced. Enable the dedicated management network, confirm proper port configuration in the resulting dialog, and provide the array with the default gateway and the management virtual port.

4. When you commit the change, the array will ask you if you should refresh your GUI session to use the new virtual address. Say "no" - you can continue using your existing session while you verify that the new address works properly. Once you close that browser session, though, you cannot manage the network through the iSCSI subnet. So make sure the new network works before closing down your existing session.

No Events found!