Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 1st, 2014 23:00

Dell EqualLogic HIT/VSM - VMware License Requirements.

Hi.

I read the release notes of Virtual Storage Manager 4.0,  vSphere License requirements these are required:

vSphere License Requirements
VSM comes with the following features and applicable licenses:

VSM: Any vSphere license

VASA: vCenter 5.0 or later, ESXi 4.0 or later, any vSphere license
In addition, the storage array firmware makes use of the following features regardless of whether VSM is installed:

vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI): Enterprise, Enterprise Plus license on ESXi
4.1 or later.

Questions:

1. Will I be able to run VSM with vSphere Essentials Plus ? VAAI requires atleast vSphere Enterprise License. What are the implications if I deploy with vSphere Essentials Plus.

2. Does VSM support ESXi 5.5 U2 ?

Thanks,

Paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 5th, 2014 22:00

VASA is a feature that you do not need for basic VSM functionality.  Which is what the release notes are trying to say.   VASA allows VMware to query more information about storage volumes.   I.e. via VASA calls VCS can show that a volume is RAIDed storage, has snapshot or replicas.   At this time the usefulness of VASA is limited even when available.   VASA is the first step from VMware to better understand a storage arrays capabilities. More functionality will coming in future ESXi versions.

However, to make VASA work at all, the storage vendor has to provide "glue" software to perform the specific HW calls from a VCS query.   VSM is what has the code, known as a "VASA Provider".   A translator of sorts.  

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 08:00

Hello Paul,

Re: 1 Yes.  VAAI allows for things like accelerated cloning or deploying templates quicker and space reclaim.  They don't affect the basic functionality of VSM.  

re: 2.  yes.   VSM v4.x supports 5.5. Update 2.  

Regards,

Don

90 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 14:00

Hi. Donald,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make it clear.

1. With vSphere Essentials Plus, I can run VSM with VASA and use its basic functionality.

2. What are the basic functionality of VSM that will be available without VAAI? I need to present this to higher management.

Is creating snapshot or scheduling snapshots  a basic functionality ?

Thanks,

Paul

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 15:00

No..... VASA is part of the vSphere Storage API and needs vSphere Enterprise licensing or better.

You should always deploy VSM even if you run a small vSphere Essentials Bundle. The VSM enables you to create or modify Volumes as Datastores from within the vSphere (Web) Client and also the clone and replicate function on Datastore or VM level.

You also get a set of alarms and "visibility" of your EQL Volumes. So "less" reasons  to leave your vSphere (Web) client and starting EQL GroupManager.

VSM only needs a few computing ressources and take less than 15 minutes to deploy and configuration. Its a Linux based Virtual Appliance and doesnt costs additional license fees.

Regards,

Joerg

90 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 17:00

Hi.

I just need confirmation we can run VSM with vSphere Essentials Plus and can make hyper-visor / application consistent snapshots via VSM through vCenter.

Thanks,

Paul

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2014 19:00

Yes.   You can create smart copies and smart replicas with that license.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 4th, 2014 15:00

Yes.  That's a term to distinguish between a snapshot taken with VSM (or HIT/ME, HIT/LE) and one done strictly from the array.    When done strictly on the EQL array, only data in cache or on disk will be in the snapshot.  Commonly known as "crash consistent".   Any unflushed writes in server cache will be lost.   The "smart copy snapshot/smary copy" or "smart replica" means before an EQL HW snapshot is created, the host OS I/O is paused and unwritten data flushed to the array.   Then the EQL HW snapshot or replica is created.    It's done differently inside VMware ESXi and say Windows or Linux, but the end result is the same.  A very consistent snapshot/replica

90 Posts

December 4th, 2014 15:00

Hi. Donald,

When you mean smart copies. You are referring to smart copy snapshots ?

Thanks,

Paul

90 Posts

December 5th, 2014 19:00

Hi, Donald.

Thanks for all the answers.

Hope you can answer this last question of mine that is the source of all my confusion.

As I understand from "110-6162-EN-R5_VSM_Release_Notes_web"

VASA and VSM will run on any  vSphere License.

Question:

1. How will VSM (which has VASA) communicate with vCenter without VASA. Since, Essentials Plus does not have VASA included.

2. Can we get a reference document stating  that VSM will run with vSphere Essentials Plus.

Thanks,

Paul

No Events found!