Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2013 12:00

Does VSM really require two instances of vCenter Server for replication?

Subject says it all, but basically we have two sites that are managed by the same instance of vCenter server, and I'm having issues trying to deploy VSM at each site and configure replication.  Right now I have VSM on a host at the primary site, and VSM on a host at the DR site, but both hosts are managed by the same vCenter server instance.  If I wish to use VSM smart copy replication, is the only solution to deploy vCenter server at the DR site as well?  Thanks.

56 Posts

April 25th, 2013 15:00

Sorry, I did not read enough of the documentation.  I see how you can use "Storage recovery replication" with just one vCenter server and one VSM.  Looking in to that now.  Thanks Don.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

You should be running VSM 3.5.2, in which case you only need one VSM to create smart replicas to the DR site. Older versions of VSM, did require two instances of VSM in order to do replication.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You are very welcome!

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2013 15:00

Hi,

We have a Production EQL array and a DR array. We have a vcenter server at each. The DR site also has a MD3200i.

We wanted to know if we could install VSM on the DR vcenter on the MD3200i and manage our PS6000 DR array  and PS6100 production array from the DR site.

Both vcenter management networks and Equallogic group manager are accessible from the DR vcenter.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 16:00

You can install VSM on both sides.   Are you using the DR site for production volumes as well?   If so then having VSM there would make sense.  If not, or you are not replicating those volumes back to the primary side, you don't have to install VSM on the DR side.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2013 20:00

We are replicating to the DR site and are using SRM as well. I just wanted the VSM to be over at the DR location and not at the production location. Since it will be rarely used and to have the ability to resize all volumes on the production site.

We may have half of production runnning at both locations and faillover the other half in the event of a disaster in the future but right now we are just trying to get a production environment up and running with VSM

I don't know if this is going to work but I configured VSM on the production network and confirmed that it is working.

I rebooted into single user mode and edited the ifcfg-eth0 interface with the IP addressing on the DR site.

I am running a veeam quick migration and attempting to migrate it over to the DR site and rebooting it so that I can manage the production array from the DR location as the VASA is already configured hopefully this will work

No Events found!