Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 28th, 2018 07:00

EQL PS4100 / SAN HQ / HD Firmware - update sequence question

I need to get my environment up to date. I have a question regarding the sequence the updates should be applied in. Current Environment ------------------------------------------------ Equalogic PS4100 fw:v7.1.2 SAN HQ version 3.0.2 Hard drives as follows 20 - MBF2600RC - fw: EA06 1 - ST600MM0006 - fw: LE0B 3 - ST600MM0088 - fw: TE0A It's typically recommended ot update SAN HQ first, but the current version of Equalogic firmware isn't supported in SAN HQ 3.3. to avoid having to do multiple upgrades of SAN HQ would the following update sequence be acceptable ? 1. Flash Equalogic controllers to firmware version 8.1.13 2. Upgrade SAN HQ to v3.3 3. Flash Equalogic controllers to firmware version 9.0.9 4. Flash Equalogic controllers to firmware version 9.1.4 At what stage of the update process are you supposed to do the Hard drive firmware ? First ? Last ? Only 3 of the 24 drives in my array are listed as having a supported firmware update available. Is there an update somewhere else for my other drives ? With only 3 drives having an update available do I still need to worry about flashing them ? How do I tell if the Multi-pathing Extension Module was ever installed on my Vmware Cluster ? If it was, at what point during the update process should that be updated ? After the other firmware updates are completed ? Thanks Mark

12 Posts

February 28th, 2018 07:00

Sorry about the formatting, for some reason it's rejecting all my line breaks, even in HTML.. ???

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 28th, 2018 11:00

Hello,

Re: Drives.  Since you are above the minimum firmware required for upgrading drive firmware I would do that first.  The drive firmware upgrade kit has kits for all the EQL drives.  So if there isn't an upgrade showing, then it's not available. Possibly in the future.  It is very important to do the drive upgrades, even if there is only one drive needing it.

re: SANHQ. I would do that last.  Upgrade the array first, then do SANHQ.

re: MEM.  At the ESXi console you can do:   $esxcli software vib list | grep dell

This will show you three files, and include the version info.  It depends on what version of MEM you are running and what version of ESXi.  If it's very old, I would suggest removing it once all firmware upgrades are done, install the current build.

I would also suggest that if you haven't done so already, make sure that the ESXi servers are configured to EQL best practices.  Tech Report TR1091 covers how to do that.  You can find it here:

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601/download

Regards,

Don

No Events found!