Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2015 09:00

EQL PS4100 individual disk check??

OK...so here's the setup.

The EQL unit here is, well it was at the time, out of warranty and had no support. A disk failed, but it was one of the disks marked as a hotspare. As we had no support it was decided to try and reseat the drive in case the EQL had made a mistake and marked it as bad for no good reason. We reseated it and it (eventually) came back as OK...but it's still a hotspare. 

Since then, ProSupport has been purchased and we are now covered. The EQL, though, is still saying the disk is OK.

I will be looking at moving the EQL from RAID50 to RAID6 in the very near future and wanted to know whether or not there is a command I can run on that disk alone to see if it really is healthy, as I would rather not have it fail during a RAID migration. I would have thought that there would be some CLI command I can run and ask the EQL to check that disk with random read / writes??

Also, while I am here, is there a way to get it to use all the disks when it rebuilds as RAID6 and NOT to keep 2 of them as hotspares? Or might I get that option during the RAID rebuild process?

Thanks in advance

Duncan 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello Duncan,

There isn't a command to check an individual drive.  The system does do a scan of all drives one at a time in the background. Including write/read/compares to diagnostic tracks on each drive.

When you convert to RAID6 it will drop to one space.  There's no way to adjust the number of spares.  

I would make sure you are at current EQL firmware, and check to see if the drive firmware needs an update.  I would do that before trying to convert to RAID6.  

Regards,

Don

16 Posts

Thanks Don,

EQL fw level is v7.0.7 (R397085)

Disks show as a mix of EN03 and EE06 (yet they are all the same make, model and size) and when I try to run the disk upgrade I get an error about my account not being authorised...despite the fact that we have a ProSupport agreement in place. I have contacted Dell EQL support about this.

Once they come back, and assuming it's not going to cost us even more money just to get firmware, I'll try and upgrade and then update this Q accordingly.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

If you have a support contract in place, you won't have to purchase anything else to get firmware, nor any of the add-on software Dell offers for the EQL product line.  

Most likely the system hasn't caught up yet and gotten the support site database updated.  

16 Posts

April 28th, 2015 07:00

OK, so I got Dell to change something and I was able to download the disk and controller firmware. I have not yet attempted the controller upgrade, but I ran the disk one earlier today. It did not update...instead it came back and said '0 drives qualify for an update'. Which seemed odd, given that they are all the same disk yet show a mix of current FW levels (picture attached).

So...how can both fw levels be the 'latest'? Can anyone tell me what level these disks should be at or why the EQL unit won't update them?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 28th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

I suspect that you got the latest drive update kit, so even though they are different levels they are correct.  The different revisions reflect the manufacturer's process, not from Dell.

Don

No Events found!