Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

January 11th, 2021 15:00

EqualLogic ps6610

How can I increase the max volume from 15TB to 30TB on PS6610?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

January 11th, 2021 15:00

Hello, 

You can't.  The maximum volume size is 15TB.  Depending on your OS you can concatenate 15TB volumes, or mount them by mount point vs. a drive letter. 

What is the OS you are using.  Also especially in Hypervisor environments multiple smaller volumes perform better than single mega volume. 

Regards, 
Don 

4 Posts

January 13th, 2021 17:00

Thanks, I'm using RHEL, and was hoping I could do it from the SAN instead the OS. Guess, I'm out of luck.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

January 13th, 2021 19:00

Hello, 

Do you have a backup?  Or enough free space to hold a copy of the data? 

You could use LVM to concatenate multiple volumes.  It's not very difficult. If the current volume isn't 100% allocated then thin provision it, if not already.  Create a new volumes.  they will be empty. So you can create two 15TB volumes without needing 30TB of space using thin provisioning. Use LVM to create a 30TB logical volume.  I would keep snapshot reserve to 0% to start.  Migrate your data and delete the old volume. You can add more volumes later with LVM and grow the logical volume live.  The resize filesystem. Depending on the RHEL version there's even a really nice GUI to configure LVM, the Volume group and logical volumes. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!