Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 21st, 2011 21:00

Group PS4000XV with PS4000E

Hi

I have a PS4000XV with RAID10 policy, and I wanna buy a ps4000E with RAID50 policy. is it possible to group these two members? is it recommended?

With this group, I will deploy vmware vsphere 4.1 later. Considering of this scenario, if a virtual machine has 2 partitions, one is located at PS4000XV(10), the other is located at PS4000E (RAID50), is it ok for vsphere HA? how about performance?

thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 08:00

Hello,

You can have them in the same group, but I would put them in two pools.  Mixing SAS/SATA in same pool isn't recommended.  

You can have VM's with VMDK or RDMs on different datastores.  However, just an FYI: the ASM/VE application doesn't currently support that.  

vSphere HA and DRS aren't effected by the multiple pools, datastores or members as long as all the ESX servers have access to all the volumes.  VMware will be totally unaware.

A performance tip, make sure that the other VMDKs have their own virtualized iSCSI adapters in the VM settings. This will yield much better IO performance.

Regards,

-don

72 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 12:00

rtt

72 Posts

August 8th, 2011 23:00

Tt

63 Posts

August 25th, 2011 02:00

With EqualLogic Firmware version 5.1, can I mix SAS/SATA in the same pool?

5.1 brings new functionality including " Enhanced Load Balancing - automatically balances workloads by seamlessly spreading data across multiple active storage resources"

Today, I joined a DELL's meeting, the speaker told me that from firmware 5.1, we can mix SAS/SATA in the same pool, and eq will automatically balances workloads.

But, I am not sure.  

No Events found!