Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2012 13:00

HDD Failback PS4000X

I have a EQL PS4000X that had a disk stop working, it did fail over to one of the hot spares i had setup but when i removed and replaced the disk it didn't fail back as you describe that it should. I have not found a way be sides ejecting other disks that would get the disk back active again to see firstly if it is now ok or if it is indeed actually dead and requires replacement. are you able to advise that if there is a manual of bringing the disk back online?

685 Posts

January 5th, 2012 14:00

That is correct. With EQL once a drive is marked as failed, it will remain failed until it is replaced. Then once it is replaced it will take the spot of the hot spare that rebuild into the array.

8 Posts

January 5th, 2012 13:00

Running firmware 5.1.1.H2 also

8 Posts

Thanks KennyK,

I will log a call now to have the drive replaced.

Cheers

Aaron

8 Posts

Thanks KennyK,

So what your saying is that because the drive has failed, even though i removed and reseated, it is still marked as bad and therefore won't fail back?

Cheers

Aaron

685 Posts

With Equallogic when a disk fails and a hot spare takes over. When you replace the failed disk the new drive that you put into the system then becomes the new hot spare drive. Hope this answers your questions.

8 Posts

January 5th, 2012 16:00

don,

thats interesting (true about the reseat though) because mine got marked as spare instead of offline or bad by the group manager which did intrigue me so i posed the original question.

Cheers

Aaron

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2012 16:00

Also, you shouldn't try to reseat a failed drive.   Even if it did come back, it's suspect and should be replaced.  Code was added to the array FW to specifically prevent that.  Since some folks were doing that and later had another drive fail and ended up double faulted.   The array continuously checks disks in the background.  If a problem is found or errors during operation occur frequently, the drive will be marked bad automatically.  

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2012 18:00

If a drive failed, it would have been replaced by the spare.  By reinserting the 'bad' disk, if it comes up OK, it will be marked as the replacement spare for the failed one.  That's another reason reseatting a disk is bad.  If it failed once it will fail again, and depending on RAID level that might be your only spare.

8 Posts

January 5th, 2012 18:00

Fair call Don, have logged a call for a replacement. In this array i have a second hot spare as well (RAID 50), but was just posing the question. Thank you also for your information

Cheers

Aaron

No Events found!