Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 13:00

How to join a new array to an exisitng Group, without auto joining the default storage pool?

The current PS Group only has the DEFAULT storage pool configured…  and this of course is where all of the current volumes are located.  I believe that by DEFAULT if I join this new array to that same group that it will automatically enroll itself in the default pool, correct?  Which means that all data in the volumes on that DEFAULT storage pool will begin to distribute itself to the new array automatically (since it is auto joined to the DEFAULT storage pool)… correct?  This is bad in my situation because I would like to put this new array in it’s own storage pool in that same group.  Is there a way to prevent it from auto joining the DEFAULT storage pool as soon as I join the Group?  If data starts to auto copy to this array as soon as I join that group..  it would not be a good thing because of different RAID levels, disk speeds, etc.  If I would have created this group originally, I would have put the current array's in thier own pools and left the DEFAULT pool empty...  just for this reason...

I was wondering that...  since RAID is not configured.  I also was wondering if I renamed the DEFAULT pool to XYZ...  and then created a new pool named DEFAULT..  would the group see this as the new default pool?  Or is it tagged some how under the covers and will always be the default no matter what the name is?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

1. The new array havent a raid setup so its not  in a usable state

We leave the Default pool empty for that reason. Maybe you can rename the default pool, create a new one and name it Default again.

Regards,

Joerg

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 7th, 2013 15:00

First, if you rename the default pool it will say (default) next to it.   Some software like Citrix storage repository adapter assumes that "default" pool is always there.  

When you add a new member to the group, it does go to the default pool.  However, before you configure the RAIDset simply create a new pool, or move it to a pool already there.  Since there's no storage yet, nothing will be moved to that new member.   Then once you configure the RAIDset it will only be in the new pool you've designated.

Regards,

No Events found!