Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2014 08:00

Hyper-V and iSCSI network

Hi,

we evaluate a migration from vmware to hyperv.

I try to understand the best practice for in guest iSCSI networking.

I have 4 physical, dedicated 1GBit ports on the host for iSCSI traffic.

I would like to use all of the 4 for host iSCSI traffic (vhdx volumes).

Now I thought of making 2 of them shared by creating 2 logical switches in VMM and adding 2 virtual network adapters for the host to use it.

The new virtual network adapters are 10GBit. I don't see a option to change them to 1GBit. For me now it looks like the system prefers the 10Gbit adapters. My other two physical adapters are not used anymore.

I tried to make all 4 ports as virtual, but somehow the ASM 4.7EPA does not see the virtual adapters. It just says "No Network Adapters found" when opening MPIO Settings.

Should I just skip this idea of sharing them and use 2 for host and 2 for guest iSCSI, or is there a working way?

April 28th, 2014 10:00

It is recommended to dedicate at least 2 network interfaces to ISCSI on the host.  Additionally, you should install Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for Microsoft and install the MPIO feature.  To enable MPIO in the Guest Operating System, you should create at least two Virtual Switches that are bound to the physical SAN adatpers on the Hyper-V host.  The Virtual Machines should then be configured with at least two of those Virtual Switches.  Then, from the Guest Operating System, configure the iSCSI network interfaces with IP, Subnet, etc...  You should also install Dell EqualLogic Host Integration Tools for Microsoft and the MPIO DSM feature in the Guest Operating System, if it is running Windows.  If using Jumbo Frames, be sure that all NICS that are being used for iSCSI (physical NICS, virtual NICS, Guest OS NICs) are enabled for Jumbo Frames.

As for the ASM v4.7 EPA not seeing the network adapters for MPIO - there is a known ASM/ME v4.7 EPA bug in Windows Server 2012 R2 related to that.  It is likely that the MPIO configuration is fine (you can check this through the Microsoft iSCSI initiator EqualLogic MPIO Tab -- it's just that ASM/ME has a problem displaying the information.  This bug has been resolved in the recommended HIT/Microsoft v4.7 GA version - which is targeted to be released very soon.

9.3K Posts

April 30th, 2014 06:00

Keep in mind to segregate host iSCSI from guest iSCSI. So use 2 ports for host iSCSI and 2 different ports for guest iSCSI (via 2 virtual switches).

Also; the ports you use for host iSCSI are best the same brand NIC, and then the same for guest iSCSI (they can be Intel for host iSCSI and Broadcom for guest iSCSI, just don't mix brands for a single purpose if possible).

No Events found!