Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2019 01:00

Long time of wait of expanding of RAID on EqualLogic 5000e

Hello, i started to install my Dell EqualLogic PS5000E from `0`. Everything is fine, but i made error. I have storage `~25 TB`, and i created `RAID 10`. It is not ok for our company, because we need more place. Ok, i decided to expand my raid from `RAID 10` to `RAID 50`. But it is taking a lot of time. I am waiting 12 hours, and i see progress 30%.

Untitled.jpg

Will it ok, if i will make reset of system and if i will create new RAID ? I don't have needed information from this storage, i just want to create new `RAID 50` or `RAID 6`. But i am afraid, that i can make damage to disks, if i will make `reset` from serial port, when process of expanding of raid is going.

And the second question. After creating of `RAID 10`, i have `~12,5 TB`. I created one volume on `1 TB`. But why i can't create next volume, more than `5,22 TB` ?

Untitled2.jpg

This SAN takes half of space for snapshots or for something else ? Can you explain me please ? Thanks for you attention.

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

February 4th, 2019 07:00

Hello, 

Yes. if there is no data on it, you can do a reset and start over.   That will be much quicker. 

Since that array is old, I would strongly suggest RAID6 vs. RAID50.  

Re: Snapshot space.  By default the snapshot reserve is 100%.   You can lower that reserve all the way to 0% if you wish.  You can adjust it any time later as well.  

You can also thin provision the volume so that not all the space is allocated at creation time. 

However, doing so you can OVER provision your storage.  If you run the array out of space writes will fail and volumes will go offline.  So do not allocate more space to volumes than you actually have. 

Lastly leave about 5% of the array unallocated.  This will help maintain performance.  This is one area that thin provisioning helps.  

Regards,

Don 

No Events found!