Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 7th, 2016 04:00

PS4110 PS4210 Encryption issue

Hello,

recently I have added a new storage array to an existing SAN group which contains already a member with encryption.

The new SAN member was added to the same storage pool, I noticed that the storage pool is showing a partial encryption icon.

can someone please tell me is this will cause any misfunctioning or degraded performance ?

Should I create a separate storage pool for each SAN member ?

Thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 05:00

Hello, 

Unless both members have SED drives, then only the data on the member with SED drives will be encrypted.   It's the drives themselves that do the encryption.  Data in a pool is striped across both members in proportion to their relative sizes.  So even if they got the member with non-SED drives they would not have complete data.  They would need the other member to get the rest.  So you are still protected but not to the degree you would be if both had SED drives. 

It is up to you how you would like to handle that.  Both are supported, but the alert is correct in informing you that it's not optimal. 

Regards, 

Don 

November 7th, 2016 05:00

I was wondering if there is any impact on existing Volumes (SED member) already connected to targets...

Thank you for your answer, it was perfect.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 7th, 2016 12:00

Hello, 

You are very welcome.  I'm glad to be of assistance. 

Don 

No Events found!