Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 22nd, 2016 11:00

PS6000xv really poor performace

We have 2 eql 6000XV  1 has been used in production (raid50) for years, and it's been great.  The 2nd PS6000xv is relatively new, from ebay.   I've interratged into the force10 switch and our vmware environment the same exact way as the production ps600xv.  Now that I'm booting up the first VM on it, it feels super slow.  Drive 0 seems to NOT be blinking with the rest of the drives.  it's not the spare.  this is setup in a RAID6.  all drives (minus the spare) will blink in unision during IO operations, drive 0 seems to march to it's own beat ?!!?!  then it will sync up for a bit..  strange, but maybe not relevant.

I have a iscsi connection to a 200gb volume on my local PC. .. just dragged a 3gb file to the iscsi drive.  writes at about 30MB/s ...   dragged it back to my desktop at about 8/MB/s  HOLY cow, that's bad.... I'm 1gb eth,  my previous experious using iscsi on windows was about FULL gb speed... 90/MBs ish.  HELP.

This unit is  out of warranty, but I'm willing to pay the EQL team for some troubleshooting.  any ideas on above issue?

25 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 14:00

Yes, its in a group by itself.   I just pulled the drive.   right before I pulled I observed it blinking.  there is NO i/o on that array right now!!!!!  it was just sitting there blinking.   

I would need to get this unit re-certified by dell for warranty coverage?

So, next question: how long should a 16x600 15k w/ zero IO take to reconstruct?  I'm at 1% after a few minutes.  

WOW... even during the rebuild transfer speeds are WAY faster....  62MB/s read and 92MB/s write.. just a quick test.....  so a bad drive "poisoned" the array ?!?!

thanks,

Jordan

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello Jordan, 

Re: Re certification  I'm pretty certain that you will not be able to.  It's not the same as letting a contract expire.  There's no way to know where all the parts came from.  I.e. some or all the drives could be non Dell drives.  

Re: Poison.  This is not an uncommon occurrence.  The drive is alive "enough" to remain in the member.  Eventually the firmware should have failed the drive out.  Much depends on what version of firmware is on the array.  Current firmware does a better job dealing with this than older builds.  Also, what firmware is on the drives themselves contributes to this. 

Regards, 

Don 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello, 

Unfortunately, there's no "pay as you go" support option with Dell/EQL products.  

If you suspect drive 0, then you could remove it and let it rebuild to the spare.  

Is this going to be for production use?   Hopefully it's in its own group?   As you can't have out-of-warranty members in the same group as those under contract. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!