Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 8th, 2015 14:00

Simultaneous IQN connections

I have some non-clustered Windows terminal server VMs running in vmware on an EQ group (ps6000 and ps6210xs). The VMs have iscsi connections to data volumes on the EQ. I'm restricting volume access by IQN of the terminal server hosting it, so I leave the "allow simultaneous connections from initiators with different IQNs" unchecked for those volumes.

I started setting up MPIO with HIT/ME a couple of weeks ago, and today I noticed that some of those data volumes now have the "allow simultaneous" box checked. Is that something that happened during the MPIO setup? Is it required, even though it's still only one IQN ( multiple NICs)?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

That doesn't sound correct.   However, did you run the remove setup wizard and exclude the non iSCSI SAN subnets?  

Did you join an AD domain or change hostname after setting up iSCSI?  Even as a test then add volumes later?  

When you connect to a volume, WIndows creates a static entry for that connection using the IQN at the time.  If you later join a domain or change hostname, that static entry isn't updated.  It has old hostname.   The HIT kit does have capability to create a new ACL on the fly if needed.  I.e. you put in only one IP address, it detects the other an creates a CHAP account for other IP on the fly.  

What version of EQL firmware and HIT/ME software?

Regards,

Don

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2015 07:00

You are very welcome.

I believe that if you redo all your connections, this issue will go away and you can disable multihostaccess which is the best option in non-cluster environments.

Don

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

Just to clarify, my vmware environment is clustered and VM LUNs are on the EQ, so those LUNs do get the "allow simultaneous ..." so that all esxi hosts can get to them. It's just the data volumes that are supposed to be restricted to one IQN.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 8th, 2015 15:00

Check the event view in the GUI.  See if you can find the initiator names that logged into that volume.  Or you can look on the volume for the IP addresses and track them to the server or servers that are connected.  

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

OK. I'm running firmware 7.1.4 and HIT 4.7.1. I excluded other subnets in the MPIO settings. I haven't made any host or AD changes to these VMs for awhile, but I suspect the IQN checkbox is unrelated to my MPIO setup and probably happened some time ago. It's just that I happened to notice today since I haven't looked at the Advanced tab for those volumes recently. I'll uncheck the boxes and monitor.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

I spoke too soon. When I tried unchecking the box on one of these volumes, I got an error "Volumes must have fewer than 2 initiator connections to disable multihost access." So maybe MPIO setup did check the box when I added the group access in the MPIO settings?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 8th, 2015 16:00

Hello,

No, it means unique IQN names.  This is classic you renamed the server or joined to AD domain. Since that process renames the IQN name with the domain info.  

Both IPs are on the same IP subnet correct?

It would take some searching through the event viewer or SANHQ logs, or if you can reboot the server, what the login info.  I suspect you will find two IQN names.    

Or shutdown any services.  Remove the favorites, logout all the connections, then redo them.  This will insure that only the current IQN name will be saved in the static entries.  

Regards,

Don

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

May 8th, 2015 16:00

The IP addresses on each volume are the 2 expected ones for the dual nicced Windows server. Maybe it's just terminology? The checkbox says IQN, but maybe it actually refers to any multiple connections.

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

May 8th, 2015 17:00

OK. The IPs are private and on the same subnet.  A couple of years ago, I had to recreate iscsi connections on a server I had joined to AD because the favorite target was not connecting automatically, but that was the last time I've made that kind of change for any of these servers. But I'll search the logs and see what I can find.

Thanks for the information.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2015 08:00

No worries.  No changing the network name doesn't affect the IQN name at all.  Only going into the iSCSI initiator and changing the Node Name or adding to domain does that.

Don

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

Just following up. I dropped the existing iscsi connections, unchecked the simultaneous option on the EQ and recreated the connections. I have the 2 managed mpio connections for each data volume now, so all good there.

FWIW, I couldn't find any additional iqn names in windows logs or the EQ and I didn't change the server name or domain membership since I set up the server a few years ago. However, when I was setting up mpio on Friday, I changed the names of the iscsi adapters in windows from Lan Area Connection 2 and 3 to iscsi1 and iscsi2. Any chance that caused the iqn issue?

2 Intern

• 

172 Posts

By the way, don't let me sabatoge your Sunday. :-)

No Events found!