Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

23 Posts

June 17th, 2019 08:00

Unable to putty into serial port on Dell Equalogic PS6100

Hello community friends!

I am having an issue connecting to the serial port on our dell Equal Logic PS6000. I have a laptop that only has USB ports. So, I took this double-sided female serial cable and connected one end to the back of the male serial port on the SAN but since my laptop only has USB I had to purchase a serial to USB adapter that would plug into the other end of the cables female port. 

I tried to connect to putty using the proper serial connections settings (below) but the only thing that comes up is a blank terminal. I pressed enter from within the terminal but still nothing. I even rebooted the SAN and reconnected during a reboot but the boot screen does not come up at all. Could I be using the wrong cable? Should I purchase a cable that is female to USB and try again? I just feel like something small is missing.

Serial line: COM3

Speed (baud): 9600

Data bits: 8

Stop bits: 1

Parity: None

Flow control: XON/XOFF

IMG_9763.jpgIMG_9764.jpg

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

June 17th, 2019 11:00

I think that your Radio Check RS232 use a different wiring as the standard EQL serial cable. Its the same cable which is included with every older Dell PowerConnect Switch..... we have 100 of these laying around.

Yes.. i also use a USB->RS232 Adapter and today i need a USB-C->USB first :)

Your 9600, 8,1,n are right. I can confirm that both CM of a EqualLogic returns output even if you connected to the standy CM.

So i suggest to
- use a different RS232 cable
- try your USB Adapter on a Switch, UPS or something different first so you can sure than you have installed the right Driver on Windows for your adpater!

Regards
Joerg

June 17th, 2019 12:00

Thanks! I was advised by some other folks that I need FTDI-based serial to USB adapter which I will purchase also. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.5K Posts

June 17th, 2019 13:00

Hello,

Additionally,  Flowcontrol on serial port must be set to NONE, no XON/XOFF.

Depending on number of arrays, and other devices list switches with serial ports, you might want to investigate buying a small serial mux.  Then you can plug right into RJ45 serial port and access both controllers from the network.  Makes like much easier.  Especially when doing firmware upgrades. I prefer monitor both active and passive CMs at same time.  That's just my preference.

Regards,

Don

1 Message

August 10th, 2022 10:00

Have you figured this out yet? i am having the exact same issue as you've had.. although, i have FTDI-based serial to usb (startech brand) and a DB9 cable (both female end).. so i connected the usb to laptop, and serial to serial port on Control module 11 on the Equalogic. When i pull up the putty, and set the  com, zero parity, no xon/xoff, 1 stop bit and 9600 baud. All i get is just a blank putty terminal. 

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

August 11th, 2022 00:00

one end needs a null modem, so either use a null modem cable or a convertor

No Events found!