Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2012 17:00

What firmware update to update first - controller or disk?

Hi Guys,

I am putting up a plan to update the firmware for the controllers and the disk but need the best practise as to what should be updated first - array controller or the disk itself?

Thanks in advance for your response

Regards,

DG

685 Posts

September 20th, 2012 17:00

Dineshgoundar,

You will want to go through the upgrade steps to get the controller modules up to the latest revision. Then you will be able to update the hard drives. If you woul dlike any assistance in that process feel free to let me know and I would be happy to assist.

September 20th, 2012 18:00

Oh sorry about that.

Current firmware is V5.1.2 and need to go to V6.0.1 (latest)

Thanks for the info. I will mark your response as the answer.

Just need advise. So if I have 5 members of a group, will I have to update all at the same time. What I want to do is move one member at a time to a mainenance pool and update the firmware, give it a reboot and introduce it back to the pool. Since all members have lot of data, the process of moving each into a maintenance pool can not be accomplished in one go. Can I update a member per week? This way we can avoid an outage. So it will take 5 weekends to completely get all members updated and in the same version. Will that work?

685 Posts

Ok that’s good as it will only take one step to get to the latest. So yes, you are on the right path. Evict the member from the group then do the update to 6.0.1. Do the reboot and then add the member back into the group. You are correct that with a lot of data it will take a while to do the moving of the member. So if you did one member every weekend that will be fine. You may also want to download the  PDF  for the upgrade process so if you have any questions during the process. It is available when you log into support.equallogic.com and go to downloads and select the 6.0.1 version.

685 Posts

To be able to answer this to the best of my ability I will need to know what firmware version the members are currently at and what version you are wanting to go to?

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

September 21st, 2012 05:00

Moving each member one at a time to a maintenance pool, performing the FW update, restart the member (to complete the FW update), update the drive FW (if needed), then move the member back into the production pool should work according to your plan.

The time it takes to move a member can vary based on the amount of data on the member and array I/O, but taking a few weeks to do this shouldn't be an issue and is typical for groups with multiple array members and large amounts of data stored on them.

-joe

September 23rd, 2012 15:00

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Much appreciated.

September 23rd, 2012 19:00

One last question, once the member is updated with the latest firmware and it is introduced back into the pool, how will EqualLogic balance the data across?

I am quite new to EqualLogic. So need to understans the mechanics of it.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 24th, 2012 06:00

It will stripe the data across all members in proportion to their relative sizes.  So the largest member will get the majority of the data.   As space is used more on some members, the arrays will rebalance blocks as a background process.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

September 24th, 2012 07:00

About the disk firmware. Dell Equallogic have revoke the firmware last week  so i would say you should wait a few days/weeks until they release a new one. Please also check if the disk firmware is needed because its only for 3-4 types of sata drives.

But you can upgrade the array firmware in the meantime. But for this it is not needed to evacuate a member from the pool.

About the loadbalancing. If you have enable the feature the  ALB have 4 "levels"

1. Capacity

2. Network load

3. Latency

4. Swap cold<->hot blocks

Iam unsure about the numbering of 2. and 3.  If you would like to pin a volume to a specifiy member take a look to the Raid Preference or use the bind command from the cmd. Disabling the Loadbalacing for the complete group maybe also a solution but its not what you want :)

Regards

Joerg

No Events found!