Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2013 07:00

When Is Dell Going To Remove The Stupid iSCSI Connection Limit??

No other vendors do anything so silly. Maybe five years ago when there was less market competition Dell/Equallogic could use this as a means to force larger customers to purchase additional arrays and create more pools to avoid the issue, but by today's standards it is foolish. I have a hard time believing this is some kind of OS limitation. And if it is, then the firmware needs to be updated to eliminate this issue!

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

July 5th, 2013 09:00

The iSCSI connection limits are (in part) due to backwards compatibility with older array models that do not have enough physical memory to store the required data needed to track connections reliably.

As new array models are introduced (and the older models are retired from service), this limit could change.

I would suggest you contact your sales team, and get an NDA (No disclosure agreement) in place so that they can talk to you about any future features that are on the roadmap.

-joe

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

July 5th, 2013 09:00

EMC's clarrion range also has a connection limit. The difference is that with EMC the hosts connect to the port (target) and it shows multiple LUNs assigned to that 1 target. This means that giving more LUNs to a server doesn't increase the connection count; only adding more servers or HBAs/iSCSI NICs increases the connection count. With the older CX4-120 the limit was 128 initiators (connection from hosts) per storage processor. I haven't worked enough yet with the newer VNX and such to have bothered to look up their limits.

No Events found!