Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2013 11:00

Worried about loosing data

Hi

I'm vacating an array from a group. I started the task yesterday and it has gone well until recently it seems to be stuck at 71% and the webinterface takes ages to load and show data, also I'm receiving warning e-mails about snapshots failing and other member port not being reached. I guess the eql group is overloaded. What can I do at this point? Do I need to be worried? Or is this normal and what can I expect?

110 Posts

June 18th, 2013 03:00

The problem was that the volumes being vacated were VM datastores being used so the number of read/writes that EQL was handling was very big. So I storage vMotion the VM's off those datastores/volumes and the vacating process took up the speed again.

So lessen learned. Don't remove an array where the volumes to be vacated are being heavily used/accessed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 4th, 2013 13:00

Best thing is to open a support case.  Do you have replication going on?  A common cause of vacate/member/volume move problems is the network.  I.e. the bridge between switches is too small, or not properly configured switches.

As you are vacating out that member, it's up to the remaining members to supply all the space.  Snapshots being deleted isn't unexpected.  

The member ports not being reached suggests a network problem.

127 Posts

June 6th, 2013 07:00

i guess restarting the management exec process could cure this but this is only a rough guess and the details about that procedure are to be done with extreme caution and always together with eql engineers. eql support definitely has to look into this. open a case.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 18th, 2013 08:00

Hello,

That makes sense, since iSCSI writes/reads have priority over member operations.

No Events found!