Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2017 10:00

latest firmware compatible with 7.0.10

I've tried looking on the Dell site and couldn't find a definitive answer. What is the latest firmware that is still compatible with 7.0.10? I have 1 array in the group that is currently empty and I want to update the firmware on that and then migrate volumes from the other arrays to the upgraded array so that I can then update the controller firmware on those. Any info is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

I add some notes to my previous post.

You cant jump directly from 7.x to 9.0.9. Check the matrix.... or use the external EQL update manager. Its a stand alone java app which helps there because it checks internaly if update is allowed or not. It also can apply the Drive FW updates as well.

Again.... all members within a group have to be on the same FW version.

Regards,
Joerg

5 Posts

so if I upgrade one array to 9.0.9, the other arrays that are still at 7.0.10 will have no problem communicating with it? I don't want to upgrade to a firmware that for whatever reason the 7.0.10 arrays will then not be able to work with as I run through the process of upgrading everything.

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

Hi,

Version 9.1.4
Version 9.0.9
Version 8.1.13
Version 7.1.14
are the current Versions depanding on the branch. All Member within a Group have to be on the same version... only for the short period of time during the update it is allowed to have  mixed versions. On the FW Downloadpage you will also find a Supportmatrix from which version you can upgrade to.
It also depends on the PS Modell if 7.x is your latest available or not. IIRC he PS5000 ends on 7.x. Having a valid support contract makes life easier.
Regards,
Joerg

5 Posts

December 20th, 2017 11:00

Yes I realize that all the firmware needs to match. Show me an environment that has the ability to update all of their arrays at the same time, i'd really love to see that.

I can do one array at a time. Upgrade the array, move volumes from an array that hasn't been upgraded yet to the one that has and upgrade that and so on until they are all done. So the group will have mismatched firmware for several days as it takes time to migrate volumes and actually perform the upgrades.

Looks like I can go from 7.0.10 ti the 8.1.13 so that is probably the path I'll take. I currently have a PS6100 and PS6010 which I'll be upgrading first. Then four of the PS-6210 arrays which I'll be able to do 1 at a time as I migrate volumes off of them.

thanks

4 Operator

• 

1.9K Posts

Yes.. one member after another.  We have setup the EQL with best practices and our vSphere cluster survive  the unavailable volumes.  The CM failover took the volumes offline for around 5sek which means 3 ping are lost. I have 24 members in the house and a dozen on customer sites.

Both of your PS6010 and PS6100 can run the latest 9.1.x FW. Please dont forget to applay the Drive FW. Its a extra package and can only be applied through the command line or the EQL Update Manager and not with the help of the EQL Groupmanager!

Regards,
Joerg

5 Posts

I did download the update manager. Is there a way to only update 1 array in the group at a time using it so that I can manually move volumes around before upgrading the next array? It looks to me like it's an all or nothing type of thing.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 20th, 2017 12:00

Hello, 

re Moving volumes. I would suggest that moving volumes around is an unnecessary step. If you have configured your Windows or VMware servers to best practices there should be no issue doing the firmware upgrade live.  Especially if you do it in a low I/O period.  There is a PDF on the EQL support site, along with the firmware downloads that has info on setting best practices for Windows and Linux.  Tech Report TR1091 has best practices for VMware ESXi. 

Here's a link to that tech report.    http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601/download

You can't have members at 7.x and 9.x in the same group.  You won't be able to do the firmware upgrade.  The compatibility is aligned with the established firmware upgrade table. Example: 7.0.x can upgrade to 8.1.x.   All members of the group will have to be at 8.1.x before you can go to 9.1.x.  Each group has a compatibility level, and until all members are at the next level, the compatibility level will remain at the lower level.  

One thing I would STRONGLY recommend is that before upgrading firmware you configure a connection to the serial port of each member to verify that you can log in.   This way in the event there is a problem during the upgrade you will have immediate access to the member.   E.g. a failure of the compact flash card might prevent a controller from booting up.  A serial connection will be needed to triage that. 

I do firmware upgrades via the serial port anyway.  It provides more info on the process and if there is a problem you can capture any messages and resolve it more quickly. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!