Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

55 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 01:00

move volumes from array to another

i have Equallogic PS4000 and PS6000 i need to move some of my volumes from an array to another !
How can i safely move them with out losing them  (some of my servers'disk are situated on this volumes !)?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

June 3rd, 2020 04:00

Hello, 

First need to know if these two array are in the same EQL GROUP, or each is its own EQL GROUP? 

If there are two groups there is no online 'move' option within EQL.  You can replicate from one group to another but there would be an outage required to move the servers to the new group. 

Depending on the host OS, you can use the host to migrate the data.  I.e. VMware offers Storage vMotion. Exchange allows you to migrate mailboxes, etc.. 

Regards, 

Don 

55 Posts

June 3rd, 2020 07:00

I don't have access to array disk which contain the data to move so  i don't now how much data stored on it !
How can i connect host to both arrays and what type of host shall i connect ?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

Hello, 

Please check your forum e-mail.  There is some information there that might help you on the PS3000. 

You can connect a host to both groups and copy the data that way  It's that or backup to external storage and restore on other group. 

How much data do the two arrays hold? 

You could pick up a couple of mirrored external 12TB drives that would be a nice backup.  Which you should have anyways. 

Regards, 

Don 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.5K Posts

Hello, 

Check your e-mail on the password issue.  If you can't get into that group it will be difficult to do anything. 

re: Host. A server that will be compatible with the data to be read.  I.e. If they are windows volumes, a Windows server, if Linux, then a Linux server. 

Let's say HOSTA is connected to the PS3000.  Then you create the destination volume on the other PS array.

HOSTA would be given access to the target volume on the other PS group.  Then format the volume and mount it as normal.  Then using either COPY or a sync utility like "FreeSync" you copy the data over the network.   

In the MS iSCSI initiator you can add in multiple discovery addresses and connect to many different EQL groups (or iSCSI SANs from other vendors) 

Regards,

Don 

55 Posts

In my case the 2 Equallogic have a differents groupe manager interface (not in the same groupe ) ! 
My problem that i got a server who have 1TB data on PS3000 i need to move it to PS4000 without backup &restore from the server (no space to backup on the server)
PS:another problem that i don't a have my PS3000 grpadmin password ! 

No Events found!