Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 12th, 2016 01:00

single storage MS SQL 2 server failover

Good morning All

A while back I came across a step by step document (in and unrelated search) for using a single store with an active/passive pair of SQL servers - Now I can't find what I am looking  - could anyone point me in the direction of the document or give me details on how I might go about the setup.

Thanks

Eric

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2016 01:00

Hello, 

In order to connect two or more servers to the same volume, you either need a cluster capable filesystem, like VMware VMFS or configure the servers in a cluster so that only one server will be able to access the volume at any one time.  Otherwise if you directly connect multiple servers to one volume you will end up with a corrupted volume. 

I would suggest you look for HOWTO guides for SQL clustering with Windows. 

Regards,

Don 

73 Posts

December 12th, 2016 02:00

Hi Donald

Sorry I should have stated that the storage is VMFS and the sql server is a VM - and the document I found at the time related to using a VMFS single volume.   I will continue my searched ;-)

Thanks

Eric

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 12th, 2016 06:00

Hello Eric, 

Thanks for adding some clarification.  You still have the same problem, only the corruption would be to a Virtual Disk vs. a physical LUN.   You must set up MS Clustering to manage the access to the Data and logs. 

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1037959

https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-55/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-55-setup-mscs.pdf

However, since you have a PS Series SAN, if you have a support contract you can download the Host Integration toolkit (HIT/ME) which would allow you to use the MS iSCSI initiator inside the guest to access separate LUNs on the array for MS SQL.  Which then provides the full integration of SQL with EQL.  You still have to set up MS Clustering of course. 

Regards, 

Don 

No Events found!