Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2015 03:00

snapshot error when running chkdsk on CSV

Hi. I have a WS2012R2 Hyper-V cluster using CSVs stored on EQL.

I was testing things out and you're supposed to be able to run chkdsk C:\ClusterStorage\ /scan while the CSV volume is online (not in maintenance or redirected access mode).

However, I'm getting this error:

PS C:\Users\admin> chkdsk C:\ClusterStorage\CSV1 /scan
The type of the file system is NTFS.
The parameter is incorrect.

A snapshot error occured while scanning this drive. Run an offline scan and fix.

What I've done:

- on all cluster nodes, logged on to the vss-control volume

- in HIT Kit, added the group in "PS Group Access", including VDS/VSS access (I've also tried adding Smart Copy access, however that shouldn't be necessary, right?)

- ensured there's a snapshot reserved defined on the EQL volume (there was different error when I had snapshot reserve set to 0 before)

Any ideas what's the problem? There are no more details in the eventlog.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 1st, 2015 09:00

Hello,

If Joe's suggestions don't help, it maybe that chkdsk doesn't know how to deal with a H/W snapshot.  It's expecting a local vss snapshot to be available.

You can try to unregister the Equallogic VSS H/W provider then run the chkdsk process.

Solution Title HOWTO: Temporarily disable the EqualLogic VSS provider?

Solution Details Under some circumstances, you may need to disable the EqualLogic VSS hardware provider module, but be able to re-enable it later.

Please note that the content of this solution is not officially documented or supported. This has been observed to work in the past, but is not guaranteed to be stable or functional in the future. Until this is documented, we should not provide it to customers.

This can be done with the "eqlvss" command under Windows:

C:\Program Files\EqualLogic\bin>eqlvss /unregserver

You can confirm it has been removed with the following command:

C:\Program Files\EqualLogic\bin>vssadmin list providers

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'

Provider type: System

Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Version: 1.0.0.7

To add it, do the following:

C:\Program Files\EqualLogic\bin>eqlvss /regserver

C:\Program Files\EqualLogic\bin>vssadmin list providers

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'

Provider type: System

Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}

Version: 1.0.0.7

Provider name: 'DELL EqualLogic VSS HW Provider'

Provider type: Hardware

Provider Id: {d4689bdf-7b60-4f6e-9afb-2d13c01b12ea}

Version: 3.1.1.0

Regards,

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

April 1st, 2015 09:00

Ensure you run chkdsk from an elevated command prompt (run as administrator).  You may need to do what the error message is saying to run in maintenance mode

You can try to temporally disable the snapshot schedule.

Although depreciated, you can also try the PowerShell cmdlet

Repair-ClusterSharedVolume -ChkDsk –Parameters

You don't need to log into the vss-control volume and there is no risk in having the vss-control volume connected.  VSS-Control is a gateway to pass info to/from the array.  It's not a "system" volume.

-Joe

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 03:00

Hi guys, thanks for replying.

I was running those commands in elevated prompt. Also, the deprecated Repair-ClusterSharedVolume internally just calls chkdsk, so it returned the same error.

After unregistering the HW VSS provider, the /scan ran successfully while the CSV was online. Although  not officially supported, I guess this is an acceptable workaround.

We're using DPM 2012 R2 to backup the virtual machines, so am I right assuming that I should be using this workaround only when backup isn't running, else it will fail?

13 Posts

April 2nd, 2015 04:00

Thanks for the clarification Donald.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

You are very welcome.  It's safe to disable/enable the HW provider as long as you are not trying to create a SMARTcopy/SMARTreplica via the HIT kit.   In the case of chkdsk you might consider taking an EQL snapshot before you run it,  just in case something goes amiss you can roll back.  Then disable provider and run chkdsk.

In fact before DPM disabled HW providers we suggested customers run the unregister before DPM started and turn it back on afterwards.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello,

Glad it worked for you.   DPM2012 R2 with latest service pack / patches disables HW providers automatically.  Since DPM doesn't deal with well them.   For the same reason that chkdsk has issues.  It doesn't know that it has to bring them online, it assumes, like the SW snapshot that it will already be there.  

You will need the HW provider when creating EQL snapshots/replication via the ASM GUI or via ASM schedule.

1 Message

April 7th, 2015 04:00

I see! Got it!

No Events found!