Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2013 04:00

some questions about Dell Equallogic Virtual Storage Manager

Hi,

VSM 3.5.2 on ESXi 5.1 managed by vCenter 5.1 (on W2k8 R2)

After successful deploy and vCenter Plugin Registration (onsite client) i tried to register the VASA provider service.

With that i ran with different approaches in a couple of issues. In addition i tried this in my home lab and i saw some differences and similarities.

In both cases the VSM CLI way looped (indefinitely) at the stage "Waiting 90 seconds for VMware vCenter ...". 

vasa.log:

ERROR [com.equallogic.vasa.ContextHandler] (http--0.0.0.0-443-2:) registerVASACertificate failed:

If i try to add this service in vSphere Client -> Administration -> Storage Providers i got the similar error in sms.log

After canceling with CTRL-C i got informations about a setup.sh-logfile with similar informations like the following.

What's similar between my two installations:

errors, behaviour

What's different:

onsite: different networks between management vCenter and equallogic, two vnics in VSM-VM, winscp isn't working

home-lab: one network, no running equallogic 

Any ideas?

Thanks, Erich

3 Posts

September 18th, 2013 22:00

Hi Eric,

I have the same problem, I have tested on and confirmed on 2 different environments (1 being a fresh setup with new hardware). Both running the latest vCenter 5.1.0 (Build 1235232) on Win2k8R2 64bit. I have tested both VSM 3.5.1.179-GA and 3.5.2.1.

I have been in contact with Dell ANZ Pro Support case #881545035 but its been a few weeks and there has not really been any progress.

I have also been in contact with VMware support case #13366872408 to which their response was that we needed to be a technology partner for support related to VASA:

www.vmware.com/.../TAP-Program-Guide.pdf

So Dell have said

Regards,

Ross

3 Posts

September 18th, 2013 23:00

Hi Eric,

I have also tried to dig into it a bit myself having dabbled a little in web services development. Heres what I have so far:

*When doing the vasa registration from within VSM command prompt it creates and passes a certificate to vCenter using the vCenter api.

*vCenter then uses SOAP to try and register the certificate with the vasaService. The Vasa service then responds registerVASACertificate failed "InvalidCertificate: Exception: java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException: NotAfter: Thu Aug 15 09:59:00 EST 2013".

*Also to get around the VSM shell and get root I did:

ssh root@VSMHOST "/bin/bash"

This drops into an invisible bash prompt, do:

ls -la

And you will see output.

Make yourself a user:

useradd ross

Set password:

passwd ross

Add to wheel group:

usermod -G wheel ross

Then login as the new user and su root.

You can find the VSM application in:

/usr/local/asmve

I'd recommend not doing this on a production environment though.

Regards,

Ross

3 Posts

September 20th, 2013 01:00

I'm seeing the exact same issue on a brandnew installation (installed vCenter and VSM this week). And perhaps noteworthy, is that the expirationdate of the certificate for me is also Thu Aug 15 09:59:00 EST 2013. I don't know which certificate it is using though.

7 Posts

September 20th, 2013 03:00

I have the exact same problems. Did some research and found out there are more people with the same problem (hope you can read German)

vmware-forum.de/viewtopic.php

I also opened a case by Dell. Case 00945447

The EQL must have a connection with vCenter in some way. The problem is the PS6500 we use don’t have a management NIC. So I added a second NIC to my vCenter server in the iSCSI network. So communication could be established.  Unfortunately no luck with that?

Configuration of VASA was successful.

Waiting 30 seconds for the service to restart

The service has been restarted. Please restart VMware vSphere Client sessions to the VMware vCenter at 192.168.253.22.

Waiting 90 seconds for VMware vCenter to register with the VASA Provider...

VMWare vCenter registration with VASA Provider failed (see setup.sh-1379667349.log)!

Under /usr/local/asmve/plugin you can find the logging (use WinSCP to acces it)

Stopping JBoss service ....Complete

Starting JBoss service JAVA_OPTS: -server -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/usr/local/java/jre/lib/security/cacerts -Dfollow_vasa_security=yes ...

Querying providers:

No providers found.

Registering provider: 192.168.253.20/.../vasaService

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

error

I know Dell is working on Dell Virtual Storage Manager (VSM) v4.0. Hope this will become available soon!

3 Posts

September 20th, 2013 05:00

For what it's worth, this error did not seem to be present with vCenter 5.1 (without update 1) and VSM 3.5.

3 Posts

Thanks Maarten, I will contact Dell and refer them to your case, so they can apply the same solution for our environment!

7 Posts

Found the sollution

It`s a certificate error. The only way to resolve this is to contact Dell. They can provide you the help you need. After that the VASA plugin regisration works.

It looks like the certicifate as expired. It a Bug the Dell Engineer reported to me.

Hope this helps?

Regars,

Maarten

1 Message

October 15th, 2013 08:00

Hello gy

With newest version 3.5.3.10 no problem ! VASA is registered without problem

Good luck

No Events found!