Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2014 10:00

Ask the Expert: EMC M&R GUI and Smarts SolutionPack Installation and Configuration

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask The Expert: Continuous Improvement Through Customer Feedback

Ask the Expert: Migrating traditional backups products to Application based backups using DDBoost

https://community.emc.com/thread/224562

Welcome to the EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. Over the next three weeks we will be covering the EMC M&R User Interface and how to install and configure the Smarts SolutionPack for the 9.x release.  Among the many areas will be discussing, our experts will answer your questions regarding navigating the new EMC M&R User Interface and the best practices for installing and configuring the Smarts SolutionPack.

Here are your Subject Matter Experts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=11916&size=350

Technical Support Engineer II

Isaka has been working for EMC on the M&R platform since April 2012 and a have a backround in Operations Support. He is a coach and SME for the ASD SAS support team. A few of the tools he's experienced with are: EMC M&R (APG/Watch4net), Service Assurance Suite, ViPR SRM, VNX Monitoring and Reporting Family.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=11847&size=350

Technical Support Engineer

Paul has been working in IT for the last 12 years and in Network Monitoring past 7 years. He joined EMC three and a half years ago and have been part of the SAS (formerly Smarts) support team since then. A few of the tools he's experienced with are: Network monitoring, SNMP, ICMP, Linux and Windows Administation.

sc1.jpg

Technical Support Engineer III

Hugh has been working in EMC since August 2010 in the ASD SAS EMEA support team. His background is in network and systems support. Some of the tools he's experienced with are: Service Assurance Suite (Smarts), EMC M&R (Watch4net), ViPR SRM.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=11943&size=350

Douglas Ferguson 
Technical Support Engineer IV

Douglas is a Technical Support Engineer in the ASD team at EMC. His specialties include Smarts, EMC M&R(Watch4Net), ViPR SRM, and SNMP. Douglas has 20+ years experience as a support engineer and has been with EMC for 7 years.

The discussion will be open Oct. 20th - Nov. 7 on the EMC Community Network. We look forward to your engagement!

Share this event on Twitter:

>> Join our Ask the Expert: EMC M&R GUI and Smarts SolutionPack Installation and Configuration http://bit.ly/1riYeEd #EMCATE <<

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hello,

Question on the Watch4Net/M&R GUI. We have to integrate our reports into customer portals and new requirements mean we need to share summary report data to the customer portal system so that they can render the information to their design so that the customer has a consistent look and feel. Is there any API that the customer portal system could use to get real time data from the M&R GUI.

6 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 06:00

Thanks Hugh, is there any further information on precisely what the purpose of each port is?

141 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hi Jean-Marc / Charles,

Yes, it is possible to associate user profiles and existing or customized notification list.
Unfortunately will not have the existing "saved consoles", however you should be able to create specific reports in the reports library section; i am going to do some testing in the lab to see how we can setup filters for mutliple users.

Charles, indeed the UI doesnt have the same flexibility, that level of filtering should be done in the notification list itself.

Regards,
Isaka

141 Posts

November 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hi David,

EMC M&R (formerly Watch4net) has a web-service that can be leveraged for such integrations. It basically allows to query reports through SOAP & WSDL to integrate in third party applications.

The functionality details and examples are provided in the APG-Web-Service-Tutorial pdf located under ( /APG/Doc/APG-Web-Service-Tutorial.pdf) on the EMC M&R server.

Regards,

Isaka

1 Attachment

141 Posts

November 4th, 2014 13:00

Hi Jean-Marc / Charles,

The user added filter in the network notification reports are not persistent between users, however a feature allowing for persistence of those filters between users is being investigated for a future release.

Regards,

Isaka

6 Posts

November 5th, 2014 02:00

Hi Isaka,

Thanks for the answers to my questions, good to know it is being considered for the future, do you think it would be included in release 9.4? As we would need these features soon in order to deploy for many contracts.

One other question I had was on the reports under Planning in the left pane. We have not got any data in these reports (for instance the Forecast Capacity Problems or the Usable Capacity Trend reports), and I was wondering whether some other configuration, other than installing the Smarts Solution Pack, was needed in order to produce some data in these reports?

Thanks

Charles

170 Posts

November 5th, 2014 03:00

Hi Charles,

As regards the Planning Node:

The Planning node is not used by the SolutionPack for EMC Smarts.

The SolutionPack for EMC Smarts only populates data in the Network block under Operations, Explore, and Dashboards.

As you have seen, the default EMC M&R platform displays nodes such as Operations, Explore, Dashboards, and Planning in the navigation tree, and this is because other product suites that also use EMC M&R as their platform display entries under these nodes by default. However, no data populates these entries unless you are using those products.

You can hide default entries in the navigation tree if you have not installed the products that populate them with data.

Procedure:

1. To hide entries in the navigation tree, click Edit Mode from the EMC M&R User Interface.

2. Find the storage-related blocks in the list and select, Always Hide.

Do not hide the Network block under the Operations, Explore, or Dashboards nodes.The Network block contains all of the SolutionPack for EMC Smarts views.

Kind Regards,

Paul O'Rourke

141 Posts

November 5th, 2014 13:00

Hi Charles,

Unfortunately i do not know for what release this is being targeted.

The functionality actually needs to be addressed on the EMC M&R side; even though we get the notification directly from SAM Pres the user filter are actually saved in the master.preferences table of EMC M&R.

Regards,

Isaka

2 Intern

• 

718 Posts

November 10th, 2014 06:00

This ATE events has ended. We would like to thank all those who participated in this discussion, but special thanks to our experts who took their time from their busy schedule to answers our user's questions.

Cheers.

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

We are customizing our own CSS for M&R .. We I want to manipulate the small amount of images files I notice that you cannot directly link the file as Tomcat seems to append /custom/ into the /APG/img path so it looks like /APG/custom/img.

This directory doesnt exist. However when I create the directory it is asking for and copy a standard PNG file into the directory. Tomcat will 404 to the file even though the path is exactly right.

The problem is that it makes it impossible for us to manuplate images files in the customer CSS overlay. I can easily change the default image files in the stock installation however I would really like to avoid this as we are planning to deploy many M&R servers and would like to keep the changes to the stock files at 0.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Josh Purcell

No Events found!