Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2014 13:00

Ask the Expert: Mind the Gap - A Technical Discussion on the Journey to the Third Platform

YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED ON THESE ATE EVENTS...

Ask the Expert: Announcing EMC LEAP Next-Gen ECM

Ask the Expert: VPLEX and RecoverPoint – What’s New?

Ask the Expert: RecoverPoint for Virtual Machine 4.3 SP1

Welcome to this EMC Support Community Ask the Expert conversation.

This Ask the Experts session follows the live launch event for Storage Resource Management Suite 3.0 and ViPR Data Services.  This discussion will be a deep dive in to EMC's Storage Management Software and how these solutions will help you overcome your daily storage issues while on your journey to the Third Platform.  Our experts will cover in depth how to:

• Control operational expenses as your data grows

• Reduce complexity while assuring service levels

• Optimize investments in multi-vendor storage

• Provide a path to the cloud leveraging your existing storage investments

Your Hosts:

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9446&size=72

Paula Swanson is a  Product Marketing Manager with EMC. Paula is a senior marketing and account management professional with over 15 years’ experience with a strong track record marketing software and hardware products.

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=9418&size=350

Cindy Goodell is the Sr. Product Marketing Manager for EMC's Software-Defined Storage Platform, ViPR. Previous to EMC, Cindy worked at Oracle as a product manager where she was responsible for their block storage porfolio.

Cindy holds a BS in Marketing from UMASS - Lowell and a MBA from the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver.

46.png?a=11188

Matt Mendonza is a Product Manager for EMC. He has been involved with EMC since 2004. He started as an EMC field technician and SA.  He has also been an EMC customer, worked for EMC internal IT and now as an SRM Suite product manager. Matt has experience across a wide breadth of IT topics, from low level datacenter design, to high level application architecture and support.

This discussion begins on January 30  and concludes on February 18. Get ready by following this page to receive updates in your activity stream or through email.

666 Posts

January 30th, 2014 07:00

This discussion is now open for questions.We look forward to an interactive and fun discussion.

32 Posts

January 30th, 2014 09:00

Did you get a chance to see the event today?   Our experts are here to take your questions whether you saw the event this morning or watch it now on demand

Let the questions begin!

32 Posts

January 31st, 2014 07:00

What did you think of yesterday's announcement about Storage Resource Management Suite 3.0, ViPR 1.1, the third platform and what this means to EMC Customers?

116 Posts

January 31st, 2014 07:00

As the Product Marketing Manager for Storage Resource Management Suite, I'm absolutely jazzed about the 3.0 release!!!!!  Given this is my baby, of course I love it, but customers telling me how much they love it, now that's something.   It absolutely makes my day!   Most popular are the capacity utilization reports and the ability to view end-to-end topology relationships. 

What do you struggle to understand in your storage environment?

32 Posts

January 31st, 2014 09:00

Here's a great customer video talking about their experience with both Storage Resource Management Suite and ViPR

January 31st, 2014 11:00

FYI, as one of the guys in the Vid, I am going to be watching this session and poping in with a customer view.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2014 08:00

SRM looks very nice, topology view reminds of of EMC Control Center.  My question (i understand if you can't answer it on public forum) is about existing customers who own EMC Control Center and pricing towards SRM. From what i understand SRM consists of Prosphere, DPA and some other component ?  I was told that if we currently pay support for EMC ControlCenter then Prosphere license is already covered, so if we were to consider SRM we would only need to purchase the remaining two components ?

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2014 04:00

Hi,

I am PSE from Spain, we want to develop a training for our partners about how VIPR and SRM Suite can help to "mind the gap" to the thrid platform. Do you have any presentation that you can share with me related to this topic?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Paula M.

116 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hello Paulamv,

There's been a great deal of materials created to train the EMC field & partners on Storage Resource Management Suite and ViPR.   Please send me a private message with your email address and I'll have someone reach out to you with materials you can leverage.

Paula

116 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hello Dynamox,

The 3.0 release of the Storage Resource Management Suite has combined the functionality of ProSphere, Storage Configuration Advisor and Watch4net into a single product   I'm so glad you like what you see.   May I suggest you reach out to your EMC Sales Representative to discuss how you can make move ControlCenter to the Storage Resource Management Suite.  If you do not know who your EMC Sales Representative is, please send me a private message with your name, email and company name and I'll have someone reach out to you.

Paula

32 Posts

February 4th, 2014 10:00

During our live Mind the Gap event last week we had some great product questions I wanted to share within this discussion.  Here is one that was asked to our experts:  Can ViPR be introduced in an existing cloud and which cloud vendors are currently supported? 

28 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

Yes! ViPR can be easily introduced into an existing private cloud environment. One of the really compelling aspects of ViPR is that it is an open and extenible platform. EMC ViPR integrates out-of-the-box (of course, there is no actual "box") with VMware, OpenStack and Microsoft Hyper-V cloud stacks. In addition, ViPR also features an open API so customers can integrate ViPR with other data center operations and/or management tools.

32 Posts

February 5th, 2014 08:00

Thank you George.  Another question we had during the discussion last week was can you use ViPR to migrate between arrays - for example VPLEX?  Can one of our experts elaborate on that?

28 Posts

February 5th, 2014 08:00

One of the new capabilities that was launched with ViPR 1.1 is the new HDFS data service. With the HDFS data service, companies can use their existing file storage as a Big Data repository. They can point existing Pig and Hive queries to ViPR managed data sources, rather than having to move data from prinary storage to a Hadoop cluster. As the product markeitng guy for ViPR data services, I think this is pretty cool but would love to hear from the community. What do you think? How do you see using this capability? What value do you think this would bring to your company or to your customers? For a little background, check out this white board video featurng our very own Andy Waterhouse.

February 5th, 2014 13:00

ViPR works with VPLEX to easily and non-distruptively migrate data between arrays.

For example, when a new storage array is brought into an infrastructure you can use the ViPR interface to instruct VPLEX to discover the new storage array. VPLEX adds the storage array as part of the VPLEX storage pool. At the same time, ViPR discovers the storage for it's own virtual pool of storage resources.  ViPR instructs VPLEX to provision the new array and create mirrored pairs from the old array. VPLEX mirrors the application data from the old array to the new array and immediately, applications are able to access the appliation data on the new array, non-disruptively and without any special steps for remediation or reconfiguration. In fact, this is so quick and painless, that the work can be conducted non-disruptively during normal business hours on production workloads.  Once the mirror process is complete and the new array has a consistent copy of the data, the mirror links to the old array can be broken and the array can be taken off line and removed from the data center.  All of this is conducted in just a few clicks from the ViPR interface.  And all of the movement of data is conducted non-disruptively with minimal effort by VPLEX.

No Events found!