Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2019 01:00

Delete FS8600 NAS Pool ?

We have Dell FS8600 v.6 appliance includes SC4020 & SCv3020 iSCSI back-end, it is using NAS Pool across 2 Storage Center. Now we need take out SCv3020 from FS

My question : How do delete NAS Pool in DSM before remove any SC in back-end? (NAS Pool is empty without any FS Volume was create before!,), I could not find any guide in FS8600 Administration & Dell Storage Management, includes CLI command

If can not delete NAS Pool, we must reset all to "Factory Default" & initialize all? It is inconvenience

May 22nd, 2019 06:00

You can't just delete the NAS pool, to the best of my knowledge. Even if it has no NAS volumes in it. That would be too easy. ;) When you or Dell configured the NAS you/they created a NAS pool (no matter how many SAN's it was stretched between, one or two). During that procedure 4+ block-level volumes holding your NAS pool were created and formatted on the SAN. Now you want to make the NAS pool smaller in size. That is impossible without evacuating all NAS data first, destroying the NAS cluster (there's a specific procedure you need to follow), resetting the NAS cluster to factory defaults, cleaning up any leftovers on the SAN side (if needed), re-configuring the NAS cluster from scratch (here you will set up the new NAS pool size) and moving the data back into the NAS cluster. You might want to call Dell CMP support to confirm this information.

May 21st, 2019 21:00

What you always need to remember when managing a FluidFS cluster is that you can't shrink the NAS pool. You just can't. The only way is to reset the cluster (all NAS data will be lost if not backed up) and setup new NAS pool of smaller size.

When you expand the NAS pool onto second CMP SAN it happens in two stages:

1. Add the second storage to make the NAS cluster aware of it.

2. Expand the pool onto the second SAN.

As far as I remember, there's a way to remove the second SAN after it was just added (stage 1), but not after the NAS pool was expanded onto it (stage 2). No matter if you never created any NAS volumes in the expanded pool.

May 22nd, 2019 00:00

Thanks for anonymous_coward' s answer

"No way to remove SC after the NAS pool was expanded onto it (stage 2). No matter if you never created any NAS volumes in the expanded pool" 

My question : How do delete NAS Pool without any NAS Volumes (all of them were be delete)? New NAS Pool can create with first SC only. In this solution, no need reset all cluster!  

No Events found!