Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2012 08:00

Dell MD 3200i Network Configuration

Hello,

I've got a question about MD3200i network configuration :

This array is managed  by 2 network controllers each one with 4 ethernet (eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3) and with 1 configuration port.

- controller 0 configuration port is  : 192.168.128.101

- controller 1 configuration port is : 192.168.128.102

No problem  to access this array via these ip addresses (via a crossed cable) by using DELL Windows Interface (MD Storage Manager).

I've configurated eth0 port (controller 0) with ip 134.214.144.20 (public address)

These "public" ip is answering ok by ping but I can't use it to join my array by MD Storage Manager ...

Can you help me to solve this problem ? What can I do ?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

• 

6.9K Posts

June 19th, 2012 15:00

Hello Alexis,

Here is a link to our deployment guide that can assist you in setting up your MD 3200i  if you check on page 13 it explains how to set the IP’s for the MD.  support.dell.com/.../DG.pdf

Let us know if you have any issues.  

June 20th, 2012 00:00

Hello,

Thanks for your reply but I've got still questions :

- it is written that eth0, eth1, eth2 and eth3 ports must have private adresses

- for the configuration port it's written : corporate, public or private network

can I put this configuration port in public network ?

if I do so and eth0, eth1, eth2 ... ports would be in private address. how they can be linked to esx server via scsi ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

• 

6.9K Posts

June 20th, 2012 11:00

Hello Alex,

What it means by putting your eth0-3 ports on their own VLAN from your public corporate network traffic.  If you were to put your iSCSI traffic on the same VLAN as corporate network then you will slow down the corporate traffic or cause corruption. That is why it is best to VLAN all iSCSI traffic from corporate network traffic.  The configuration port can go on your corporate network and most customers do attach it that way so that they can manage the MD3200i.  The management port has little traffic and doesn’t send or receive any ISCSI traffic that is why it is ok to put it on the corporate network.  What you need to do for ESX is to create a new Vswitch and then assign eth0-eth2 ports to it.

Let me know if have any other questions.

June 26th, 2012 07:00

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes by configuring "configuration port" with public address and other ports (0-3) in 10.10.10.X it is ok I can now manage my array from my computer.

I've configurated my lun without problems.

I've configurated also my esx hosts in "adressing" panel.

But I still have a problem to read my lun from my esx (esx i 4.1). I can join my configuration port ip (public) as isci target but ... I can't access any of my lun ...

Perhaps is that because I haven't linked eth0-3 ports ? Can "configuration port" be used as a isci target even if it doesn’t send or receive any ISCSI traffic ?

If its not, which ip can I use as isci target ?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

• 

6.9K Posts

June 26th, 2012 10:00

Hello Alex,

The ip’s that you will use for the iSCSI targets is the same ip that you configured for eth 0-3.  Now you will need to do this for both controllers if using 2 controllers.  Here is a link that can help.  It says that it is for a MD3000i but the setup is the same for all MD series. paulgrevink.wordpress.com/.../configure-dell-md3000i-mpio-with-windows-2008-r2

Let us know if have any other questions.

No Events found!