Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2013 04:00

EqualLogic remote replication an auto-tiering, can I bind a replica to the slower arrays ?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had an answer to this:

We have recently installed 8 EqualLogic arrays (4 x 6100x + 4 x 6100E).

We have two server rooms and have configured a SAN group in each machine room consisting of a single storage pool (2 x 6100X (RAID50) + 2 x 6100E (RAID6) )in order to utilize auto-tiering. 

I have been playing with remote replication and I can't seem to find a way to bind a replica to a RAID type or member. Ideally I would like to bind all replicas to our slower arrays that are currently running in RAID 6.

It doesn't look like this is possible, can this only be achieved by having one or more slower arrays in a different pool and replicate to that pool instead. The reason I was initially resistant to this idea was that I wanted to be able to utilise the performance of all arrays via auto-tiering, as opposed to having dedicated arrays for replication that would be doing nothing for most of the day. 

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2013 05:00

Hello,

Correct, you can decide what pool the delegated space is in, but not what member or RAID type.

Regards,

20 Posts

May 1st, 2013 05:00

Ok thanks looks like I may end up having a separate pool for remote replicas as I don't want replicas sat on the more expensive / faster disks.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 1st, 2013 06:00

You're welcome, depending on the kind of overall load, the replication process will not likely add a much to the overall I/O impact.   The larger members will by default store more of the data than the smaller SAS members.  

If you haven't installed SANHQ already, that will help you determine what will work best for you.

Regards,

No Events found!