Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2013 12:00

Equallogic + Force10 + DCB + pVlan

Hello,

Now i know it isnt possible because equallogic doesnt allow a pvlan tag, it allows just regular vlan tagging but its more a question if it would be possible at all.

Now i want to use DCB in my enviroment but i also want to use pvlan's to make my iscsi traffic more secure.

All my devices support DCB (PS6110XV + S4820T + BCM57800). So in theorie if i would be able to put a pvlan id in the equallogic gui it should work

right?

Thanks...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2013 14:00

I wouldn't configure a PVLAN, PVLANs use a different packet tag, I believe.  I'm not sure the array will respond appropriately.  Since the array will only listen on the one defined VLAN, you have effectively created a private VLAN.

30 Posts

May 10th, 2013 14:00

hee don, long time no speak... no it wont work, with pvlan's you'll a double vlan tag. as you might remember we host customer enviroments which we want completely seperated. thats not possible in one vlan. so we can only use vlan routing or pvlan. Pvlan is the best fit, but i cant use it with dcb or you guys have to put in the next firmware (its a small change i thnink;))

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 10th, 2013 15:00

Hello,

If you are virtualizing the storage, then the customers don't see each others space.  It's PVLANs on their production LAN side you have to segrate to keep their data segregated.

30 Posts

May 11th, 2013 01:00

well, then i cant give them access to the windows hitkit. As some customers also have devolopement enviroments is very handy if they can make snapshots....

May 11th, 2013 14:00

Hi Hdejongh.

Im not exactly a hosting guy myself, but i dont see why you could not present volumes via the hitkit to your customers. Its all down to the ACLs you make on each volume. The initiator you give each virtual host will be unique, so unless your running several customers on the same virtual box, it should be a non issue.

Only if you do not have ACLs on your volumes, would they be able to see each other. Which under any circumstance is not recommended, since you risk volume corruption if another machine connects and tries to write to another machines volume.

VMware is the exception, since it uses a clustered filesystem (VMFS), and it can handle multiple host connects to a volume.

Hope it makes sense!

30 Posts

May 12th, 2013 00:00

@DarkingDK,

i dont care about the iscsi traffic it self, its more the fact that i create on big network in which all my customer servers (windows servers) are connect without a proper firewall between each other. So customer a can reach the vm of customer b. The only "real" line of defense is the windows firewall (do i need to say more? :) ). So that is not acceptable.. With pVlan's or vlan routing i can isolate a customer.

I could also see if i can "fix" it with switch acl's but the problem then is that i'm using NPAR so the acl's will be on all my partitions..

Btw, iscsi traffic is unencrypted a iscsiacl will fix the authentication but not the traffic itself.

Regards

Hans

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 13th, 2013 08:00

What you need is "protected/unprocted" ports on the Virtual switch.  With the servers being on protected ports and arrays unprotected.  Servers can't see each other but can see array.

30 Posts

May 13th, 2013 12:00

yeah ok but that is exactly what pvlans do;)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Not familiar with "vshield".  On a physical switch when I wanted to isolate ports, I would set the servers ports to protected and array ports to unprotected.  So all servers can see storage but not each other.

Doesn't work with virtualization environments though.

30 Posts

don do you mean with vshield or something? wouldnt that give to much overhead?

No Events found!