Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2011 04:00

Equallogic PS6000XV Hard disk sizes

Hi
I have a PS6000XV with 8 slots filled with 300Gb HDDs out of the 16 slots. I want to increase the disks now. Whats the best size disks that i can add? should it be 300gb itself or can i add bigger size and utilize them all? The RAID is 5.

Please advise how to increase the disk spaces by adding what size and type of disks.

Thanks for the help

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

April 28th, 2011 05:00

basheerpt,

Hi, It’s Joe with Dell EqualLogic. You can use disks with different sizes in an array (the disk options for the PS6000XV are 300GB, 450GB, and 60GB 15k SAS). However, the smallest disk in the array will determine how much space can be used on each disk. So in your case, if you add 8 450GB drives, the array would only be able to use them as 300GB disks.

We also have a solution on the web site for “What is the process for adding additional drives to a half-populated array?”. Go to: https://www.equallogic.com/support/solutions.aspx?id=1444 (login required), search for the word ”half” (without the quotes).

Regards,
Joe

77 Posts

May 6th, 2011 23:00

Thanks for the useful document. Just to make sure, adding disk is to be done keeping the array powered on, right?

Regards

7 Technologist

• 

729 Posts

May 9th, 2011 07:00

basheerpt,

Once the upgrade kit has been purchased, and the disks are ready to be installed, perform the following steps, in order (while the array is operational):

1. Remove all filler sleds.
2. Insert all new disks into their respective slots, until they are snugly seated, but DO NOT lock them into the backplane.
3. When the last disk has been inserted, proceed to lock down each new drive in turn by pushing the drive handle inward until it is fully engaged. When the handle engages, a clicking sound can be heard.

NOTE: Locking the disks into place should be accomplished in less than 2 minutes.

4. The array firmware will then recognize that the new disks have been added and will immediately start "expanding" the group with the new space.

- There is a two-minute delay between the time you insert a disk and the time the disk is automatically configured into a RAIDset. This time interval allows multiple disks to be simultaneously configured in an array, which is more efficient than installing a single disk, configuring it, and then repeating the process. For example, when you install a disk, the timer starts. If no other disks are installed, the disk is configured after a delay of two minutes. If you install another disk before two minutes have elapsed, the timer is restarted.

- If you install a disk during RAID reconstruction or verification, the new disk will not be configured until the operation completes.

Regards,
Joe

77 Posts

June 4th, 2011 08:00

Strange! i got the notification of your reply today 4th June, eventhough you have replied on May 9th! anyhow thanks for your detailes reply and time.

Best regards
No Events found!