Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 12:00

Help scheduling and managing snapshots on md3000i

I have an md3000i and according to the MDSM software and Dell's documentation, it is easy enough to create a partition for snapshots (it was purchased as a premium feature and MDSM shows it as enabled), but I cannot figure out how to configure what RAID(s) to snapshot nor how to schedule snapshots. Creating a partition and allocating it for snapshots is done, but what about HOW to schedule data to be snapshot? I have, what I believe, are all the Dell manuals for the 3000i. What am I missing? How do I manage the whole snapshot capability after the partition is set?

Thanks.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2009 09:00

I am also trying to determine the same thing. Did you have any luck with scheduling a snapshot?

1 Message

January 21st, 2009 08:00

Hi Scott,

You can not schedule snapshots using MDSM. If a script is written with CLI commands then that script can be called from the windows scheduler. The best solution is to use VSS hardware provider with backup software such as Symantec to. Scheduler and create snapshots.

Hope this helps.

116 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

Hello,

I can confirm that a scripted solution to perform a snapshot on a MD 3000I does not work on Windows, the main reason is an update from micrsosoft to fix issues with volumes and assignemts of drive leterrs, this update was released last year. therefore we had a solution to perform a scheduled taks to take a snapshot , we used a little cmd script and used fixed drive letters, it worked fine til MS released this update , then the assignment does not work anymore and we could not fix the issue ...
Of course, I do not recommend to de install that update, if you try to do that you need to re install the operating system......
Well I totally agree to Phillip at this time its not possible to automate the snapshot feature, sry 4 the bad news , but before you start to complain about the missing feature ,think about when do you need a snapshot , how many snapshot are needed and , as Phillip recommended, use the VSS hardware provider with a backup software like Symantec. The usage of snaps in conjunction with Symantec might help you to fasten up your backup ... a very good start to implent backup to disk to tape , if not already implented.

Regards

Marcus

March 7th, 2011 02:00

hi ,

can we schedule the snapshot in MD3200i

116 Posts

March 7th, 2011 03:00

Hello,

unfortunately the GUI was not improved with the MD 3200I, at http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/md3200i/en/CLI/CLI.pdf you will find the CLI guide of the MD 3200I, beginning at page 61 you will find the syntax for taking the snapshot via CLI, a possible approach might be to create a script which takes a snap and then , depending on the used operting system, task the script with an AT, CRON JOB or the Windows scheduling service with a specified time and date.

Best regards
Marcus

March 7th, 2011 04:00

can you let me know the process to create script

116 Posts

March 7th, 2011 05:00

Hello,

make sure your server , where you want to task the script , has access to the cli of the MD 3200i to interpret the commands, you can also setup the path i.e. on windows by calling up the properites of the system, then move to the advanced and setup the enviroment variables, there you can setup the path to cli commands of the md 3200i, after that open up a notepad then start to create your script with the needed commands, finally save it a a cmd and open up the scheduling service (settings--control panel--schedled tasks) , create a time and date when script shall run and add the cmd to the task, this is an example for windows, if you are using linux ,please refer to the docuemtnation of your used derviate how to create a script and add it as a cronjob.

Please also take a look on the commands of the MD CLI

Cheers

Neph

847 Posts

March 7th, 2011 15:00

We do this.... 1st step? create all the snapshots you will ever want first with the GUI then disable them. Then use the re-create snapshot command fromt he CLI with Task Scheduler. This works with all server OS's we have tried it on. We have not tested it from workstation OS's though.
No Events found!