Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

June 1st, 2018 05:00

MD3220i Host Interface Card Problem

We had a hardware issue with Controller 1 and no Dell support so we purchased a new EQ and moved all the iSCSI drives to the new EQ.  Now we are trying to fix the MD.

We purchased a refurbished controller and inserted it.  That fixed the errors.  Then I tried to upgrade the firmware to 08.20.24.60.  The old version was high enough so I did not need to make bridge stop at 07.something.  After the upgrade I am now getting the Needs Attention message:

Host Interface Card Problem
    Storage array:  Boxwood01
    Component reporting problem:  Host I/O card
    Host card interface type:  iSCSI
    Component requiring service:  Host I/O card

Does this mean that there is an issue with Controller 0 now?  Are there any known fixes?  Again we do not have support on this unit and its no longer in production.  There is one LUN we would like to keep around but I am willing to perform unconventional fixes.  Any ideas?

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2018 07:00

Hello SystemGeek1,

The first thing I would check is to make sure that there are no lose cables on controller0.  If all cables are securely connected, then I would check the recovery Guru and see what other errors are listed.  Once the firmware was upgraded did you power down your MD3220i & leave it off for about 3 minutes then power it back on? If you can gather a support bundle, I can send you an email so that you can send me the log so that I can review it.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

June 1st, 2018 09:00

I did not power it off.  Never knew you needed to.  I can get a support bundle for you just tell me where to send it.

For the moment though I do not want to do anything with this unit.  I recently found out that we were using it as a backup device.  So I have it mounted on a machine so some one can review all the data on the LUN to make sure its being backed up to the new EQ and nothing is needed from this host any more.

Thank you for your help.

• 

7.1K Posts

June 1st, 2018 09:00

Hello SystemGeek1,

You need to reboot your MD3220i when doing a firmware upgrade.  If you are still getting the error after the reboot, then we will need to look at the support bundle.  Here is how we state is best to do a firmware upgrade on an MD3xxx system.

1. Gather support bundle in MDSM
  2. WARNING: If you have a single controller PowerVault MD3200/MD3600 series storage array you must stop all I/O operations before starting the firmware upgrade.
  3. Extract the firmware to folders and remember location.
  4. Burn or mount the ISO for the resource cd.
  5. Uninstall the MDSM from hosts (reboot)
  6. Install MDSM from resource DVD (reboot)
  7. Save, then clear the Event Log.
  8. Update to 07.75.28.60 if not already there, then update to latest firmware.
  9. Verify connection and data.
  10. Update the hard drive firmware.
  11. Reboot stack and verify all is optimal.
  12. Power off server, then MD32xxi, then any attached MD12xx units
  13. Power on any attached MD12xx units
  14. Wait at least two minutes then power on the MD32xxi
  15. Wait at least 3 minutes then power on the server

Please allow for at least 60-85 minutes for the updates.  Time may vary depending on how long each reboot takes.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

June 1st, 2018 10:00

Ok...

The unit is a dual controller unit and the firmware is updated already.  But let me schedule time to get the unit powered off and then I can re-check the logs to see if there is still a problem.

Thank you.

No Events found!