Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2014 04:00

VMware Esxi Host Showing high letancy with Equallogic 6510

hi Team we have equallogic 6510 with two 10G SFP+ ports on each controller. Equallogic ports are connected with B1/B2 dell MXL 10/40 Gb swicth. Both MXL are stacked .

EQuallogic connectivity are like one port from controller 1 connected to first external port of MXL and other conencted to Other first external port of B1 MXL. same with other controller also which is non active currently.

i have install Latest Multipath module also. Currenlty customer just running few test/dev machine and we are still implementation phase.

please let me know if any one face same kind of issue.

thanks in advance.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2014 09:00

Helo,

Do you have SANHQ installed?  If not, you should download it from the Dell EQL support site. 

By default ESXi's network setting cache small I/Os to group them together.  This delays when data is ACK'd.  This is reported a latency by the ESXi host.

Things like Delayed ACK, Large Recieve Offload, and sometimes Large Send Offload will cause this.

Here's a a PDF which describes these and other common causes for ESXi reported latency.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20434601.aspx

I have found that in over 90% of the cases, these settings resolve those errors and promote better overall performance.

Regards

23 Posts

February 27th, 2014 15:00

do we have updated copy of this document about Esxi 5.5.

second,, first script  is not working ..do we need to run some selected part of script

esxcli storage nmp satp set --default-psp=VMW_PSP_RR --satp=VMW_SATP_EQL ; for i in `esxcli storage nmp device list | grep EQLOGIC|awk '{print $7}'|sed 's/(//g'|sed 's/)//g'` ; do esxcli storage nmp device set -d $i --psp=VMW_PSP_RR ; esxcli storage nmp psp roundrobin deviceconfig set -d $i -I 3 -t iops ; done

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 27th, 2014 19:00

re: 5.5   There are no changes for ESXi v5.5.   The document still applies

Re: Script.  What error message do you get?

Try this script.  Only downside is that you will have to reboot afterwards for it to become effective.

esxcli storage nmp satp rule add -s "VMW_SATP_EQL" -V "EQLOGIC" -M "100E-00" -P "VMW_PSP_RR" -O "iops=3" 

What VMware license do you have?   If you have Enterprise or Enterprise+ you can install the Dell MEM kit.  That automatically optimizes MPIO for EQL devices.

23 Posts

March 3rd, 2014 08:00

run the same command on all three esxi server and Multipath set policy set to Round robin also.

but still facing the same issue of letancy.

Please share if you have any more inputs

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 3rd, 2014 09:00

Hello,

Did you go through the other settings in the PDF I included?   Things like Delayed ACK, Large Receive Offload disabled,  making sure that your VMs aren't sharing a single Virtual SCSI adapter when you have multiple VMDKs (or Raw Device Mapped LUNs too)    

These are common causes of ESXi reporting latency.

Sometimes when you disable DelayedACK, it shows as off, but if you haven't rebooted, it likely is still in effect on the established ISCSI connections.

You can also open a support case, they'll gather diags, SANHQ archive, and VM support files to look for common problems like the Delayed ACK issue.   They will also check the network stats to make sure that the switches aren't causing issues either.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 5th, 2014 07:00

First, when you refer to latency issues, are you referring to alerts from ESXi?

2nd, what items have you left out in the best practices guide?

3rd, I would make sure the DCB is disabled on the MXL switch.

4th, Do you have SANHQ installed?   If so, what latency is being reported there?

5th, do you have a support case open on this?

23 Posts

March 5th, 2014 07:00

Hi team,

still facing the Letancy issue after doing almost all the changes as per the Best practice doc and mentioned in this thread.

final check on connectvity

PS6510 with two 10 G ports on each controller. Port 1 from controller A connected to MXLswicth B1 and other port of same controller connected to MXl b2. same for the other controller also.

MXL are stacked with stacking cable.

No Events found!