Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 11:00

Windows 2008 clusters

We have a md3000i and it works great. I have one problem with a windows 2008 cluster. I try and give one node in the cluster a lun from the md3000i and it will see the lun as offline. I can't bring it online or format the new lun. I am not trying to use it as a shared lun in the cluster but as a local drive. Does it have to do with SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation that is required by windows 2008? Does the md3000i support SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation? Thanks for any advice.

342 Posts

May 28th, 2009 11:00

So you have two nodes in a cluster and in a group on the MD3000i and it currently works as expected ? With shared disks failing back and forth correctly ?

And now you want to add an additonal LUN from the MD3000i to a single host, so you've assigned to LUN to the individual host in the MD3000i interface and not the group ?

Is this a correct interpretation of the question ?

3 Posts

May 28th, 2009 18:00

"So you have two nodes in a cluster and in a group on the MD3000i and it currently works as expected ? With shared disks failing back and forth correctly ?

And now you want to add an additonal LUN from the MD3000i to a single host, so you've assigned to LUN to the individual host in the MD3000i interface and not the group ?

Is this a correct interpretation of the question ?"
Thanks for the reply. No we have two Windows 2008 servers in a cluster on a cx3-40 SAN. All is working fine on the cluster with the share drives. Even better I have a standalone W2008 server. I can't get ISCSI to work on either setup to our md3000i. I want to add a lun to any w2008 server and I have problems getting it to use the lun. I setup the initiator on the server with the SP address of the MD and configure the MD with the server and LUN. The server will see the LUN in disk Manager as unknown. I try to initilize the new disk and get illegal funtion error popup window. I ever setup a dedicated nic to the MD subnet to have it seperate. I have the MD working to several esx servers and an xp box and a w 2003 box with no problems. The problem seems to be with W2008 setup. I'm just not sure what is different is with win 2008 except the SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation requirement. I have logged a call with Dell today an see if I can get this resolved. Any idea? Thanks again.

342 Posts

May 29th, 2009 10:00

I've got a T610 I've been doing some testing on, so I went ahead and did a quick connection to one of my MD3000i's to make sure it worked with plain vanilla single connection.

It works. The T610 is just base W2k08 Enterprise, no service packs. MD3000i is at the latest firmware version. I created single lun and mapped it the single host I created. Then used the iSCSI initiator in Windows to connect. Then opened Disk Administrator. It showed the disk in "offline" .. I right clicked brought it online, then initialized, then formatted and worked fine.

What firmware version is your MD3000i at ?

3 Posts

May 29th, 2009 17:00

"I've got a T610 I've been doing some testing on, so I went ahead and did a quick connection to one of my MD3000i's to make sure it worked with plain vanilla single connection.

It works. The T610 is just base W2k08 Enterprise, no service packs. MD3000i is at the latest firmware version. I created single lun and mapped it the single host I created. Then used the iSCSI initiator in Windows to connect. Then opened Disk Administrator. It showed the disk in "offline" .. I right clicked brought it online, then initialized, then formatted and worked fine.

What firmware version is your MD3000i at ?"
Thanks Scott for the test. I currently run the last version of Generation 1 firmware 06.70.15.60. As Dell had a problem with Generation 2 firmware. I like to stay one or two releases behind to prevent problems. I bet you are going to be correct that the firmware may be causing this problem. Gen 2 firmware came out just about the same time w2008 came out. We have a MD3000 and a 3000i. I will need to upgrade both of these units so I can still manage both from my system. The managment software also changed with Gen 2 release. We have a lot of VM on these units so it is a pain to do the firmware. Whaaaa! Thanks for all your help I will try the firmware upgrade soon and see if it fixes the problem. Also this web site is GREAT for Dell customer to find out information. I'm still waiting on a responce from my email case I opened two days ago. Great job Scott,Thanks

342 Posts

June 1st, 2009 15:00

Operative word there being "had" :-) ..... that issue was addressed and gen 2 firmware brought back to the light a while back.

Pretty sure that will be the issue. Looks like a planned maintenance window is in your future. Stock up on Mt Dew and Doritos and get those things up to date :-) Let me know how it goes.

And thanks for the kudos, trying to do the best we can.

23 Posts

June 2nd, 2009 09:00

techdad,

Just a thought...You did install the latest version of the MD Storage Manager (or at least the one for Gen1) on your Windows 2008 box right? You need to perform a "Host" or "Full" install to make sure that the multi-pathing drivers are installed correctly. You should be able to find the older version of the RCD also on support.dell.com

-Mohan

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 07:00

I have the same problem: I'm trying to seup a Windows Cluster using Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 RC, but when i try to validate my cluster nodes I receive the following error: ‘Validate SCSI-3 Persistent Reservation: Failed’ .

I'm trying to understand if I miss something or if my MD3000i does not (still) support Persistent Reservation

Please have a lokk at the following link to understand my problem:

http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2009/04/15/windows-2008-failover-cluster-validation-fails-on-validate-scsi-3-persistent-reservation.aspx

Please help me, I need to understand if I have to change my virtualization solution (e.g. ESXi)

Thanks

Lodovico

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 08:00

Lodovico
Check your firmware level of the md3000i. You will need Generation 2 to support w2008 on the md3000i. Beware if you update to Gen2 firmware you can not roll back to Gen1. Also if you upgrade to Gen 2 you will loose support for w2000 system attaching to the md3000i. I think that is what caused my problem. I am unable to update to Gen2 at this time as we still have some w2000 servers.

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 11:00

"Lodovico
Check your firmware level of the md3000i. You will need Generation 2 to support w2008 on the md3000i. Beware if you update to Gen2 firmware you can not roll back to Gen1. Also if you upgrade to Gen 2 you will loose support for w2000 system attaching to the md3000i. I think that is what caused my problem. I am unable to update to Gen2 at this time as we still have some w2000 servers."
Thanks for your reply.

I yet have the latest 2nd generation firmware and I'm going to use Windows 2008 x64.

I hope to receive an answer from a Dell technician because I really can't find a solution.

I've read a lot of documentation but "Persistent Reservation" seems to be something unknown.

Lodovico

23 Posts

July 2nd, 2009 13:00

Lodovico,

Are you following the instructions as per the Installation Guide here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/clusters/SE600Wi/en/index.htm ?

Dell's clustering documentation is available here
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/clusters/

-Mohan

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2009 01:00

Thanks for you reply Mohan.

What I would like to do is this:

http://it20.info/blogs/main/archive/2009/02/09/177.aspx

I will check your link to verify If I missed something

Lodovico
No Events found!