Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

April 5th, 2008 23:00

A11 on Inspiron 1525 incompatible w/ Vista SP1?

I made the mistake of applying a BIOS update very close to the same time that I had applied Vista SP1 on aDell Inspiron 1525. After applying both updates, the laptop would consistently reboot when put to sleep (hardreboot instead of sleep), and would reboot instead of shutting down when hibernating after committing thememory image to disk. Rolling back SP1 would make the problem intermittent, but did not resolve completely. Reapplying SP1 and rolling the BIOS back to A09 seems to have resolve the issue.

Is there a known incompatability with BIOS A11 and Vista SP1 on the Inspiron 1525?  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2008 17:00

PLEASE Dell -- fix this problem! It is very frustrating. I would love this laptop completely if not for this flaw.

I believe the problem has been identified as caused by the Microsoft High Definition Audio Codec. Dell did not write the codec and can not change it. I suggest you look to MS for updates that may fix the issue. In the meantime, disabling the codec may be a workaround.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2008 19:00

Anyway, if the problem is from Microsoft, why only affects to Inspiron 1525??

Now, that's an interesting question that I should have addressed earlier. There has to be some platform-specific root cause that we have not flushed out yet. I also neglected to mention I have escalated this issue and am waiting to hear back. I may be coming back asking folks if they would like to have their systems exchanged for new ones, so that we can do some failure analysis on the affected boxes.

12 Posts

May 15th, 2008 19:00

The Microsoft High Definition Audio Codec is not the problem, (at least for me). I have disabled this codec and the problem persists.

However, without the SP1 seems to work fine. :smileyindifferent: 

Anyway, if the problem is from Microsoft, why only affects to Inspiron 1525?? :smileysad: 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 15th, 2008 20:00

Thanks, Kristi.

That's exactly why this one is so hard to nail down. The issue is being worked.

12 Posts

Yes Celestin. I have (re)installed my system yesterday in this order, and the results are the same.

12 Posts

However, without the SP1 seems to work fine.

Right now, the laptot has rebooted when go to suspend :smileysad: :smileysurprised: . So, without SP1 the issue is also present.

Inspiron 1525

Pentium Dual CPU T2370 1.73

2 GB RAM 667

Dell Wireless 1395 

BT355 

Vista Home Premium 

The issue is being worked.

Thanks Bill! if there is some progress, did you notice at this forum?

PS: sorry for my bad english 

8 Posts

I'd like to help more than this but .. none of the above doesn't occur in my machine .. there was some days ago few failures in sleep operation but after that, everything works well.

i have A11, vista ultimate, sp1, dreamscene, music, drivers .. i tested sleep in various conditions, in different power modes, when movies/music were playing, when downloads in progress, when usb device were connected (stick and mobile hdd) and every time, sleep worked well.

I asked a few posts ago but nobody answered .. your drivers were installed in correct order as described  here ?

7 Posts

I am still experiencing intermitten problems dispite disabling the hibernate feature and selectively turning off some services. I did install DreamScene yesterday and it rebooted when I tried to put it to sleep. I went in and immediately uninstalled DreamScene and went to sleep fine.

Kristi 

8 Posts

May 16th, 2008 18:00

Im almost sure that the problem was resolved in my case.

I tryed the disable devices tip and i tryed some @ sound, after i disabled:

Bluetooth Hands-free Audio (i dont realy need it)

Bluetooth Stereo Audio (neither this)

Intel(R) High Definition Audio HDMI (sound seems to be working fine with this disabled, funny uh?)

end of disabled sound, video and game controllers.

The single thing enabled in this section is:

SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC (with this disabled sound wont work at all so we need it enabled)

After this i dont remember if the computer didnt go to hibernate like it sould or shuted down like it sould shutdown not like some times when it did restarted when the hibernate or shutdown process was completed.

(i dont know why but hibernate takes alot more time that i would wanted to wait)

Message Edited by lucianu on 05-16-2008 03:04 PM

12 Posts

May 16th, 2008 19:00

Thanks, lucianu. I will retry disabling this device to see what happens. Have you disabled any other device?

This bug is very annoying. Today all had worked alright every time the machine go to suspend, until a few moments ago when the PC has reboot after hibernate.

Hibernate takes too long for me too.

8 Posts

May 17th, 2008 11:00

here is all the list

The pc isnt restarting for me ... i must wait to see if it will do it again :)  i tryed sleep and hibernate today and worked fine.

12 Posts

May 19th, 2008 13:00

The pc isnt restarting for me ... i must wait to see if it will do it again :smileyhappy: i tryed sleep and hibernate today and worked fine.

Have you tried to sleep the pc twice? and then hibernate? I noticed that if only sleep and hibernate one time, the process is correct. However, if go to sleep twice or more times, then the pc reboots.

Disabling devices is not working for me. When I try go to suspend two or three times in a row, the laptop reboots.

The service support tells me that I would try to delete some registers concerning to "iaStor" (I think this is related to the Intel Matrix Storage). Maybe, this is the correct way; i will try later...

12 Posts

May 19th, 2008 16:00

@Anonymous-Bill_B wrote:
I wonder if anyone with similar, but not exact same symptoms, as the High Def codec could try disabling your firewall to see if the system suspends and reboots properly.

The windows firewall¿?

7 Posts

Let me add a couple more notes here. My system has been sleeping just fine since disabling the MS audio device. I had also made a couple of other changes just prior to that final step:

1. I installed the very latest update to the Intel video driver (posted the first week of May?).

2. I changed the wireless adapter power management option to NOT allow the computer to power it down (and NOT allow the device to wake the computer). This was suggested by the MS Vista support staff.

Neither of these changes solved the sleep problem on their own, but maybe they helped in combination with disabling the audio device. Just about everyone who eventually solves the Vista sleep problem (and posts info to one of the many online discussion boards) does so by changing device settings or disabling unnecessary devices. So, don't give up hope.

This also means that Dell needs to work through this problem on the systems they are sending out so customers don't have to put our own time into solving compatability issues with brand new systems.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

I wonder if anyone with similar, but not exact same symptoms, as the High Def codec could try disabling your firewall to see if the system suspends and reboots properly.
No Events found!