Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2011 11:00

Any laptops with nVidia card and without optimus? OpenGL needed for the non-Windows crowd

Hello all,

I recently got my new Inspiron, but the happy warm buzz of new hardware evaporated when I dual-booted it to Linux. Turns out that the 'Optimus' technology built into the nVidia card means that only Windows 7 will ever have OpenGL support. I guess if I'd delved deeply enough into the docs and waded through the happy-talk propaganda I could have figured this out before hand, but nVidia has done alright by Linux users in the past, so it never occurred to me I'd be buying windows-only hardware. Sigh.

So - my question is: Are there _any_ Dell laptop models with nVidia cards that don't rely on Windows for 3D support? I'm wavering on RMA-ing it, as it's a nice machine but I really resent having my hardware tied to a specific vendor's operating system, especially when the linkage isn't explict. I'd even settle for being able to switch things up in the bios. I've poked around Dell's site, but the marketing-speak makes it hard to pin down which models do or do not allow switching the video card.

Sigh - 15% restocking fee too. Any thoughts are appreciated.

B

2 Posts

May 27th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the fast response. The downsides of the M6*00 series for me are the doubling of the price and the fact that the default video card isn't nVidia. Nothing against ATI, but if you've got a lot invested in CUDA development, that's a show stopper. They do offer a Quadro upgrade for another 300 dollars, I suppose, but ... looks like it's RMA time. Fun while it lasted.

Hopefully some other laptop maker out there can just give me a straightforward openGL card.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 27th, 2011 12:00

The Precision M6500 and M6600 should serve your needs.

No Events found!