Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2012 07:00

At my wits end! HELP

Hello, first and foremost thanks in advance for any insight as to the issue at hand. That being said, what I have is a Dell Inspiron N4030 laptop that I am servicing for a friend, It was brought to me with what I was told to be NO display. I did some trouble shooting and came up with a little more complicated diagnosis than what my friend had told me. Upon powering the system up I noticed that every thing seemed to boot like it should...EXCEPT there was no display. So what I did was grab my trusty LED flashlight and shined it at the screen and cold see that it WAS displaying but was so faint you cold not see it with out the aide of the flash light. SO, I ordered a new LCD and put it in and ended up with the same problem, a very dimly lit display. I in turn hooked it to an external display and it works just fine. I am not sure where to go next. Is there some type of switch from the laptop lid that turns the display on or off? I have enclosed a photo of two metal contact switches that are near the top of the main board and was curious if these may play a part in the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time 

~~~ Frustrated in MN

NOTE: the red arrows are the contacts in question

November 22nd, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the help! I will look into this.

934 Posts

November 21st, 2012 10:00

I can't tell you what the metal contacts are good for but one possible reason that could cause the backlight to fail might be a tiny fuse located on the mainboard.

here is a link to an older thread.It includes a picture of the mainboard and the fuse of an inspiron 1545.

en.community.dell.com/.../20231260.aspx

===========================

Assuming your laptop has a CCFL screen check the inverter and fuse (if there are any).I also assume that the screen you replaced came with the CCFL already included.

If the laptop has a WLED screen then the only "easy" option would be the fuse.

November 22nd, 2012 06:00

The screen is in fact a WLED. Is there a schematic some were so I can locate the fuse in mention?

934 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 08:00

you can try this link (thanks to ejn63)

www.ebay.com/.../300595054957

however you should have some basic electrical skills and the fuse I mentioned  might not exist on your mainboard.A WLED screen draws "a lot" of current so usually up to four pins of a display ribbon cable are combined to deal with it.If you are familiar with a multimeter you might be able to trace the "thick" copper track back until you find a fuse....but this can be tricky .

No Events found!