Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2009 16:00

Attempt to update WinXP Dell Mini 9 to A04 Bios, get error message and code 144

I dowloaded the updater from Dell onto my Mini 9, and whenever I run it, I get an error message. The error code is 144 and the message is "BIOS not flashable". This is with the phoenix technologies WinPhlash program Dell tells you to download.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2009 10:00

Same problem, same error. Lots of Google hits for WinPhlash 144, with no solutions. The updater says to click on Help, but the process runs all by itself, cannot click on anything. When I click on OK, to close the error, the program exits. As suggested, nothing else running, no external connections. Dell suggest this upgrade to prevent a possible battery ovecharge problem. I worry about that, overcharging a Li-Ion battery can result in "rapid self dissassembly" [battery mfr's technical term :( ]

2 Posts

May 14th, 2009 10:00

For me this error ended up fixing itself. I just rebooted it and tried one more time and apparently it worked. The issue went away and I was able to update to the new BIOS.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2009 11:00

That got it. Third (4th, 5th ?) time's a charm. Plugged in AC power, booted, ran update (saved to desktop) and it worked.

Have to wonder if running anything else prior to update leaves debris behind that caused the problem. In any case, right after a clean boot fixed it.

Thanks for the reply.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 19th, 2011 07:00

This Error means the battery is not charged.  I ended up using a USB floppy and Mini 9 Bios Recovery Disktette to burn the bios.

297 Posts

June 19th, 2011 08:00

As a general rule never flash from Windows. Always flash from DOS. Flashing from Windows can and sometimes does brick the system. You were all lucky you got an error when something was wrong.

SpeedStep above is quite right. A USB flash memory stick would also have worked.

No Events found!