Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

25 Posts

December 11th, 2004 19:00

Battery Life on 600m, How to Improve and Keep in shape ?

First, I bought this laptop under a week ago and I was not impressed that on a full charge and battery is new I only get 3 hours on it with Quickset set to MAX battery life. I was expecting more like 4hours.
Two things I want to enquire about.
A) Is there a way to increase battery life ?

B) I know these are LiON batteries, so they should have no memory.
i)- But Is it better to kill the battery before every charge ?
ii)- And take out the battery when I need to use it on AC Power
iii)- And Is there a program (my old laptop (Diff brand)) had a boot up CD that I ran once a month it would boot up from the CD and do some settings so the laptop would NOT shut off till the battery was completly dead and it would run the laptop doing useless cycles of processes till battery was dead and shut off then I plug it in to charge Does dell have a program like this ?

25 Posts

December 11th, 2004 20:00

also is it better to charge when laptop is on or off ?

2.6K Posts

December 12th, 2004 01:00

A)Not without decreasing your power usage. 3 hrs is about right for that machine.

B1) No, killing it is the WORST thing you can do to a LiIon battery, and WILL destroy your battery quickly.
B2) You can, but theres no benefit to it.
B3) I dont know of such an application, but it would severly damage a LiIon battery. You do NOT want to run a LiOn battery to less than 5%

Power on status of the laptop doesn't matter to charging, but ti will charge faster with the laptop off.

Message Edited by mattcowger on 12-11-2004 07:43 PM

25 Posts

December 12th, 2004 04:00

What ?!?!?!
Are you sure, I have always learned that I am suppose to kill the battery before recharging it?

How much juice am I suppose to keep in the battery before charging ?

But I know for sure your not suppose to keep the AC on with the Battery for long periods of time. except if that is wrong too :(..

25 Posts

Your right

I never knew :(
So doing what i did a few times was VERY BAD...
I hope it had some kind of dummy fail safe mechanise for people like me :(

2.6K Posts

LiIon batteries are not the same as the NiMH or NiCd batteries you are used to, and after different rules. Completely discharging a LiIon battery is the fast track way to kill it - its like not changing the oil in your care....just asking for bad news. LiIons do not have a memory effect due to their different chemistry, so charging it from 30% vs. from 90% makes no difference.

No need to leave the battery in with AC - it wont affect its life or performance. That, again, only applies to Nickel based batteries.
No Events found!