Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

80 Posts

September 9th, 2007 22:00

Battery Lifetime

I typically leave my computers on all the time plugged into an outlet.  I wondered how this effects the lifetime of the battery of a notebook, will this decrease the lifespan of the battery ? or is it better for the computer to go into stand-by mode when not in use.

Thanks,
Chris

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

September 9th, 2007 22:00

Battery life is dependent on discharge/Recharge cycles.  300 to 500 for the average battery (Generally about a year)

If you rarely use the system on battery, the lifespan will likely be much longer as the battery is for the most part not being used by the system.

14 Posts

September 10th, 2007 00:00

Leaving the laptop plugged in all the time will eventually kill your battery's ability to hold a charge. It says so in the manuals for newer laptops (my E1405 states this) It's sort of like what the older wireless phone manuals would have you do- charge fully and drain fully several times at first to "break-in" your battery.

140 Posts

September 10th, 2007 12:00

This doesnt make sense. If you have the battery fully charged, it should run off AC power, and not continue to drain the battery. How could not charging the battery lead to life-loss?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 10th, 2007 12:00

It likely doesn't. Other than deep discharging - a no for lithium batteries, the main enemy is heat - if the battery is left in a powered up system all the time the heat will eventually kill it.
No Events found!