Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

27 Posts

May 20th, 2006 23:00

Battery light flashing 4 times...code?

I went to turn my laptop (600m) on the other day and it was dead. I thought this was funny because I had used it the night before and ran it down to about 75% then plugged it in all night. Plugged it into a/c power and it turns on fine. The battery meter in windows says 98%, the meter on the battery has all lights on. I do get 4 red blinks then 1 green from the battery light. I have a feeling the battery is dead...but I think it is weird it just went like that. Is this a specific code or do I need to shell out for a new battery? Thanks

14.4K Posts

May 21st, 2006 08:00

yup, sounds like you'll be needing a new battery.

21 Posts

May 21st, 2006 14:00

well yeah!! if the battery status meter shows red blinking lights, u need a replacement on the battery for sure.

Kishore

21 Posts

May 21st, 2006 15:00

Steve..

JP0933.. is called a PPID number that we use to recognize the make/part number of the battery etc, refer https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/ on that, usually if the charge led's on the battery blinks..it indicates a possible battery failure but what u may wanna try is to first lookup the ststus of the Battery in the BIOS..

Remove Battery first,
Power on Laptop with just the AC Adapter
F2 at the Dell Logo,
Go to Page 5 of 7 (ALT+P) to scroll btw pages
Primary Battery Ststus will show as NOT INSTALLED now,
Install the Battery and check to see if it recognizes it..

If Nogo, u need a new Battery for sure..

Kishore

4.8K Posts

May 21st, 2006 15:00

ramkishore,

I am not sure that JP0933 means that the the lights on the battery itself are 4 red and one green, but perhaps the battery light (charging LED) on the system blinks 4 red and one green.  Perhaps JP0933 could provide some clarification on this?

Steve

21 Posts

May 21st, 2006 18:00

nope...the JP number has nothing to do with the system status lights or the battery charge indicator lights..

27 Posts

May 21st, 2006 18:00

@BigBrother wrote:

ramkishore,

I am not sure that JP0933 means that the the lights on the battery itself are 4 red and one green, but perhaps the battery light (charging LED) on the system blinks 4 red and one green. Perhaps JP0933 could provide some clarification on this?

Steve

That is correct...the light on the top right of the laptop itself next to the power and HDD light.

27 Posts

May 21st, 2006 23:00

Just wanted to give an update. First, my battery is not affected by the recall. Second, I went into the BIOS to check the battery status and when I installed it, it recgonized it and said 98% charged / Idle. I also noticed that the battery light was no longer flashing red so I unplugged the ac power and it stayed on. Rebooted into windows and it still runs fine off of the battery. Before when I was having the problems with the red flashing lights, unplugging the ac power would turn the laptop off. Any explaination for this...seems weird. Thanks for all your help/suggestions.

4.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2006 01:00

JP0933,

It is possible that the battery was not completely seated or latched.  Check the contacts in the system which connect the battery to be sure that they are not corroded.  Removing and reinstalling the battery several times should help clean the contacts.

Steve

21 Posts

May 22nd, 2006 12:00

well..probably the battery was not seated properly in its place....u may want to also flash your System's BIOS to the latest version from http://support.dell.com ,

Kishore

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

May 30th, 2006 19:00

I have the same problem.
got in the bios, plugged my battery, the BIOS is recognizing it, 100% idle. and still, the light is flashing 4 times red one tie green.
BTW I can work with the battery for app. 2 hours.
help, please.

27 Posts

May 30th, 2006 20:00

That is different than how mine was acting. I could not work off of the battery at all. When you checked the battery in the BIOS, did you first remove it from the laptop then put it back in? When I did that, all of the problems we gone.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

May 30th, 2006 20:00

yes I did. shut down the computer, then unplugged the battery and than started the Bios.
any suggestions?

1 Message

June 14th, 2006 02:00

I just had the same issue as well. The battery light was flashing red and it was the first time I had seen it. The battery had been drained after using it for 2 hrs on the dimmist screen setting but with wireless internet on. After I plugged my laptop in an hour later to the AC for charging and turned it on, I noticed that the right side of the palm rest was getting extremely hot (where the battery is). I checked the Dell battery recall page, aside from having a C2603 label on it, it's doesn't match for a recall.

Turning the laptop off and then reseating the battery seemed to do the trick, as I haven't seen the flashing red light again.
No Events found!