Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2009 07:00

Battery not detected

Hi.

I've been using this Dell Vostro 1700 for an year. Now I face a problem with the battery. For the last couple of days I've been warned that the battery is reaching the end of life although it is charging normally. Now I see a wierd message in the system tray. I see a battery charging icon with a cross mark on it saying "No battery is detected".  If I remove the power cord, the laptop does not shutdown. It continues to use battery power. So I see that the battery is being used, though it is not being detected!

I've seen a couple of people discussing on the same problem, but I couldnt figure out any specific solution. Did any of you figure out the root cause or a solution to this?

Thank you!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2009 07:00

Check the contacts on the battery to be sure they're clean.  If they are, you've got two possibilities:  the battery is faulty, or the mainboard is faulty.  Since the battery costs $150, while a mainboard is $400+, try the  battery first.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2009 06:00

The battery is dead - replace it.

July 24th, 2009 06:00

I had a new motherboard installed yesterday (because the battery wasn't charging, but showed 'good health' in the BIOS).  The new motherboard is using A8 BIOS instead of A12 (previous).  It now detects no battery at all.  I checked the battery , cleaned it and there's no corrosion.  What could cause this problem?

1 Message

August 10th, 2009 22:00

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have Dell Precision, it used to provide over two hours backup. Suddenly one day it went down. And in a day or two saying no battery detected and not offering any battery backup.

I purchased a new battery that worked fine for two months and then one day encountered the same problem.Just for a test I used my first faulty battery and amazingly it worked fine as a new one. But after few days of usage, again same problem. This time Dell doesn't detect the battery, but when I unplug, battery works sometime for more than 1 hour and sometimes goes down suddenly.

I thought it only problem with my laptop, but two of my colleagues having similar problem with Dell laptops(different models). All of us are using Windows Vista on Dell Laptops.

I am using Dell laptops since 1998 and never used any other brand after that.

I believe Dell should look into this matter on very urgent basis.

I live in Pakistan and very willing to offer my laptop with both batteries for examination to Dell.

Thank you.

August 19th, 2011 09:00

I just had the same icon appear on my laptop --- I went to the Dell Support 'Drivers and Downloads' page and (with the correct laptop and OS selected - it selected them automatically for me) I selected 'Bios' and downloaded A15.  After it installed and restarted, my battery was detected again like normal.  Try that if you're not sure that you have A15.

September 2nd, 2011 14:00

How did you install the BIOS update with the "No battery is detected" warning? My computer just tells me "The AC adapter and battery must be plugged in before the system BIOS can be flashed. Press OK when they are both plugged in or CANCEL to quit."

September 7th, 2011 21:00

I didn't get that error message -- I would look for another way to update BIOS first, but if there's no way to do it I would guess that the actual battery and/or the adapter is damaged.

September 18th, 2011 18:00

Okay, it started recognizing my battery so I flashed the BIOS, but the problem came back. I decided to download some better diagnostic tools and this is what I found out: Usually, my CPU's clock multiplier is set at 9.5. When it slows down, though, the clock multiplier changes to 1 or 1.5! I'm currently trying to figure out how to either set it static or increase it once it goes down.

October 6th, 2012 03:00

Hello Inspiron 1545 2.53 GHz.

I am having exactly the same problem.

How did you flash your BIOS?

Thanks

3.3K Posts

October 6th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

I have provided link for BIOS update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-1500?driverId=R184570&osCode=ww1&fileId=2731119372

1. Click Download now from the above link.
  2. The File Download window appears.
  3. Click the Save button.
  4. The Save As window appears.
  5. Select Desktop using the drop-down menu to the right of Save in.
  6. Click the Save button.
  7. A progress meter moves as the download is completed.
  8. If necessary, click X in the upper right-hand corner of the Download Progress Window to close it upon completion.

NOTE: Shut down all other applications prior to running the BIOS update utility. The update utility reboots your system in order to get the new BIOS loaded.

1. Double click the Icon on the desktop labeled E6520A15.exe.
  2. The Dell Bios Flash window appears
  3. Click the Continue button.
  4. The message Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, and then reboot. Appears.
  5. Click the OK button.
  6. The system will restart and the Bios Flash will be completed.

Note: Ensure to connect the AC Adapter to the computer, run the BIOS file.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

October 6th, 2012 04:00

Hello Rajesh

Thanks for the quick response but it does not solve my problem.

Let me explain. I have a Vostro 1500. Its battery stopped working a few days back. So I ordered a generic battery. Now the BIOS says that battery is not installed. I searched on the forums and learnt that may be i need to flash the BIOS. When i tried that using the link you have given me, the utility wants both A/C power and battery plugged in but now I dont have a original dell battery in working condition.

please advise.

thanks.

3.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Install the old Dell battery in the computer and then install Quickset application on the computer.

I have provided a link below for quickset application installation:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/xps-15?driverId=JMG67&osCode=W764&fileId=2731096451

After installing quick set, check for the battery health meter and let me know the status.

Awaiting your response!

October 14th, 2012 05:00

It say the battery needs replacement.

Ketan

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

This means that the issue is with the battery and the battery needs to be replaced on the computer.

We need to replace the battery on the computer.

I recommned you to buy battery using the below link:

www.Dell.com

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!